Author Topic: Costa Rica’s drug trade blamed for spike in homicides  (Read 132 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Costa Rica’s drug trade blamed for spike in homicides
« on: April 12, 2023, 12:27:43 pm »
Costa Rica’s drug trade blamed for spike in homicides
by: JAVIER CORDOBA, Associated Press

Posted: Apr 11, 2023 / 05:21 PM CDT

Updated: Apr 11, 2023 / 05:21 PM CDT

LIMON, Costa Rica (AP) — In this colorful Caribbean port, where cruise ship passengers are whisked to jungle adventures in Costa Rica’s interior, locals try to be home by dark and police patrol with high-caliber guns in the face of soaring drug violence.

Costa Rica logged a record 657 homicides last year and Limon – with a homicide rate five times the national average — was the epicenter.

The bloodshed in a country better known for its laid-back, “it’s all good” outlook and its lack of a standing army has stirred a public outcry as the administration of President Rodrigo Chaves scrambles for answers.

Where Costa Rica had previously been just a pass-through for northbound cocaine from Colombian and Mexican cartels, authorities say it is now a warehousing and transshipment point for drugs sent to Europe by homegrown Costa Rican gangs.

https://www.borderreport.com/immigration/border-crime/costa-ricas-drug-trade-blamed-for-spike-in-homicides/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Costa Rica’s drug trade blamed for spike in homicides
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2023, 12:29:05 pm »
How fortunate we are that drugs like Fentanyl don't affect drug pushers in America that way. *****rollingeyes*****
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson