Author Topic: Bragg sues Jim Jordan over ‘campaign to intimidate and attack’  (Read 1243 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Bragg sues Jim Jordan over ‘campaign to intimidate and attack’
by Rebecca Beitsch - 04/11/23 2:55 PM ET

Manhattan District Attorney Alvin Bragg (D) sued House Judiciary Chair Jim Jordan (R-Ohio) Tuesday, calling his investigation into Bragg’s prosecution of former President Trump a “transparent campaign to intimidate and attack” his office’s work.

The suit, filed in federal court in New York, is the most aggressive push back yet from Bragg in response to Jordan, who in recent days subpoenaed a former prosecutor who worked on the Trump investigation and last week asked another employee to turn over personal emails about his hiring process.

“Congress has no power to supervise state criminal prosecutions. Nor does Congress have the power to serve subpoenas ‘for the personal aggrandizement of the investigators or to punish those investigated,’” Bragg’s office writes in the suit, pointing to a case initiated by Trump that ultimately limited Congress’s subpoena power.

Bragg has also resisted efforts from Jordan to secure his testimony, arguing in prior letters that Jordan’s requests would violate the rights of those involved in the process, including Trump himself.

“The charges the District Attorney filed against Mr. Trump were approved by citizens of New York,” the suit states.

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/house/3944493-bragg-sues-jim-jordan-over-campaign-to-intimidate-and-attack/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Re: Bragg sues Jim Jordan over ‘campaign to intimidate and attack’
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2023, 07:22:09 pm »
Rep. Jim Jordan
@Jim_Jordan
·
6m
First, they indict a president for no crime.

Then, they sue to block congressional oversight when we ask questions about the federal funds they say they used to do it.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2023, 07:26:28 pm »
“The charges the District Attorney filed against Mr. Trump were approved by citizens of New York,” the suit states.

That was a stupid remark for Bragg to make because (a) criminal charges are never approved by the citizens of New York, qua citizens, they are approved by the members of the grand jury that heard the evidence (howsoever tainted it may have been), and (b) saying that makes it clear that Bragg views the charges through a political lens.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2023, 07:33:40 pm »
This is why Jordan's committee went after a former prosecutor no longer with the office rather than a current one.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2023, 07:56:32 pm »
This is why Jordan's committee went after a former prosecutor no longer with the office rather than a current one.

No it's not.  Connect the damn dots.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2023, 08:01:57 pm »
Jordan should send Bragg a Snickers bar. "You're not you when you're hungry, Fat Alvin."
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2023, 08:16:11 pm »
More wasted taxpayer dollars courtesy of a Soros puppet.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Online DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2023, 08:28:48 pm »
I saw this one coming.

Tangerine Mussolini's "associates" in Congress are behaving like a mafia crew engaging in RICO acts.

The MAGA members of US House of Representatives are seeking to delay, disrupt, interfere, and possibly obstruct Bragg's prosecution of their patron, Don Donald.

Their attempt at a cover-up for the Oompaloompa King may be more criminal than the alleged NY state crimes they are trying to cover-up for Don Cheeto.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2023, 08:55:47 pm by DefiantMassRINO »
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2023, 08:35:33 pm »
No it's not.  Connect the damn dots.

This coming from someone who hasn't even read the Complaint, and has no legal experience at all.  You literally know nothing about the topic.  You're like someone who knows nothing about cars trying to tell someone else that they should use plenty of glue on their engine rebuild.  Just nonsense.

The Committee was smart to go after Pomerantz rather than Bragg because it puts Bragg in a weaker legal position to try to stop it. Feel free to come up with your typically uniformed conspiracist drivel if you wish.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2023, 08:43:32 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2023, 08:59:43 pm »
Conservative Brief by  Dougherty April 11, 2023

Manhattan District Attorney Alvin Bragg on Tuesday filed a lawsuit against House Judiciary Committee Chairman Jim Jordan after the Ohio Republican’s committee sent the prosecutor a subpoena demanding information regarding the office’s indictment of former President Donald Trump last week.

In his suit, Bragg alleged that Jordan and the committee are attempting to wage an intimidation campaign over the indictment.

The D.A. said he’s taking legal action “in response to an unprecedently brazen and unconstitutional attack by members of Congress on an ongoing New York State criminal prosecution and investigation of” Trump, Fox News reported.

Fox News noted further:

Bragg, a Democrat, is asking a judge to invalidate subpoenas that Jordan, the chair of the House Judiciary Committee, has or plans to issue as part of an investigation of Bragg’s handling of the Trump case.

In recent weeks, the Judiciary Committee issued a subpoena seeking testimony from a former prosecutor, Mark Pomerantz, who previously oversaw the Trump investigation. The committee has also sought documents and testimony about the case from Bragg and his office. Bragg has rejected those requests.

More: https://conservativebrief.com/manhattan-da-2-72433/?utm_source=CB&utm_medium=DJD

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2023, 09:27:57 pm »
https://int.nyt.com/data/documenttools/bragg-v-jordan-complaint-23-cv-3032/b7f1a0e43619867d/full.pdf

Case 1 :23-cv-03032 Document 1 Filed 04/11/23 Page 1 of 50

ALVINL.BRAGG, JR., in his official capacity as District Attorney for New York County,

Plaintiff

IN THE UNITED STATES DISTRICT FOR THE SOUTHERN DISTRICT OF NEW YORK JIM JORDAN, in his official capacity as Chairman of the Committee on the Judiciary COMMITTEE ON THE JUDICIARY OF THE UNITED STATES HOUSEOF REPRESENTATIVES; and MARK F.POMERANTZ,

Defendants

INTRODUCTION

Plaintiff District Attorney Alvin L. Bragg,Jr. brings this action in response to an unprecedently brazen and unconstitutional attack by members of Congress on an ongoing New York State criminal prosecution and investigation of former President Donald J. Trump. Beginning on March20,2023,Representative Jim Jordan, Chairman of the House Committee on the Judiciary (the Committee ), began a transparent campaign to intimidate and attack District Attorney Bragg, making demands for confidential documents and testimony from the District Attorney himself as well as his current and former employees and officials. Two days after Mr. Trump was arraigned on 34 felony counts in New York State Supreme Court, Chairman Jordanand the Committee served a subpoena on Mark Pomerantz, a former Special Assistant District Attorney who participated in an investigation of Mr. Trump and his businesses. The subpoena seeks to compel Mr. Pomerantz to testify in a deposition on April 20, 2023. Chairman Jordan's demands,including his subpoena to Mr. Pomerantz, seek highly sensitive and confidential local prosecutorial informationthat belongs to the Office of the District Attorney and the People of New Case No. 23-cv- 3032

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2023, 09:47:24 pm »
https://int.nyt.com/data/documenttools/bragg-v-jordan-complaint-23-cv-3032/b7f1a0e43619867d/full.pdf

Case 1 :23-cv-03032 Document 1 Filed 04/11/23 Page 1 of 50

ALVINL.BRAGG, JR., in his official capacity as District Attorney for New York County,

Plaintiff

IN THE UNITED STATES DISTRICT FOR THE SOUTHERN DISTRICT OF NEW YORK JIM JORDAN, in his official capacity as Chairman of the Committee on the Judiciary COMMITTEE ON THE JUDICIARY OF THE UNITED STATES HOUSEOF REPRESENTATIVES; and MARK F.POMERANTZ,

Defendants

INTRODUCTION

Plaintiff District Attorney Alvin L. Bragg,Jr. brings this action in response to an unprecedently brazen and unconstitutional attack by members of Congress on an ongoing New York State criminal prosecution and investigation of former President Donald J. Trump. Beginning on March20,2023,Representative Jim Jordan, Chairman of the House Committee on the Judiciary (the Committee ), began a transparent campaign to intimidate and attack District Attorney Bragg, making demands for confidential documents and testimony from the District Attorney himself as well as his current and former employees and officials. Two days after Mr. Trump was arraigned on 34 felony counts in New York State Supreme Court, Chairman Jordanand the Committee served a subpoena on Mark Pomerantz, a former Special Assistant District Attorney who participated in an investigation of Mr. Trump and his businesses. The subpoena seeks to compel Mr. Pomerantz to testify in a deposition on April 20, 2023. Chairman Jordan's demands,including his subpoena to Mr. Pomerantz, seek highly sensitive and confidential local prosecutorial informationthat belongs to the Office of the District Attorney and the People of New Case No. 23-cv- 3032

I always hate legal writers who cannot restrain themselves from using hyperbole and unnecessary adjectives and adverbs to discuss the facts.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2023, 09:49:55 pm »
I always hate legal writers who cannot restrain themselves from using hyperbole and unnecessary adjectives and adverbs to discuss the facts.

If you can't dazzle them with your brilliance...
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Online Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2023, 10:06:02 pm »

@Kamaji

Is that usually how Complaints look in that district?  Every single federal court in which I've practiced includes a title for the pleading.  But there's no title on that document, which just seems weird as hell.  Obviously could be a local rule, but I've never seen that before in any federal court.  Or even any state court, come to think of it.  You'd think it would say "Complaint" or "Motion to Quash", or "Motion for Declaratory Relief", or...something.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2023, 10:07:35 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2023, 10:20:09 pm »
Pretty sure the Congress has superiority over any state laws, unless it deprives someone of due process. But we'll see I guess.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2023, 10:40:40 pm »
The Jan 6 committee pretty much laid it down in court that Congress can get whatever info they want, and these kind of lawsuits will get shut down.

Mow over the little twerp.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2023, 11:12:56 pm »
@Kamaji

Is that usually how Complaints look in that district?  Every single federal court in which I've practiced includes a title for the pleading.  But there's no title on that document, which just seems weird as hell.  Obviously could be a local rule, but I've never seen that before in any federal court.  Or even any state court, come to think of it.  You'd think it would say "Complaint" or "Motion to Quash", or "Motion for Declaratory Relief", or...something.

Not that I’m aware of.  It does appear to be missing a title .  I suppose it could be some local rule that I’m not familiar with. 

Online Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2023, 12:45:14 am »
Not that I’m aware of.  It does appear to be missing a title .  I suppose it could be some local rule that I’m not familiar with.

I figured that perhaps one of the moronic assistant DA's who worked for Bragg may have just forgotten it, but then I saw that the pleading was signed by Gibson Dunn and Crutcher, who you wouldn't expect to make a mistake like that.

Weird.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2023, 09:41:11 pm »
It would appear that the expert legal team that Bragg has put together forgot to attach a couple of documents, including the subpoena itself, and the restraining order part of Bragg's lawsuit got tossed the day it was filed.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2023, 10:28:42 pm »
Wasn't the hearing scheduled for today?

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2023, 10:35:24 pm »
Wasn't the hearing scheduled for today?

No. Wednesday.

Offline Kamaji