Author Topic: General Mark Milley Is Retiring. Meet The Contenders To Replace Him As Biden’s Top Adviser On Milita  (Read 1176 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
General Mark Milley Is Retiring. Meet The Contenders To Replace Him As Biden’s Top Adviser On Military Affairs

Micaela Burrow
Reporter
April 09, 2023 3:02 PM ET

Air Force chief of staff Gen. Charles Q. “C.Q.” Brown and Marine Corps commandant Gen. David Berger have emerged as the top contenders to replace Gen. Mark Milley as President Joe Biden’s top adviser on military issues after Milley’s retirement in October.
    The Biden administration’s perception of China’s military designs will dictate his decision more than anything else, experts said.
    “I think General Berger would be more unflappable but that General Brown might be more inspirational,” Patrick Cronin, Asia-Pacific security chair at Hudson Institute, told the Daily Caller News Foundation.

Both contenders to replace Gen. Mark Milley as chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff later this year are focused on change to counter China, but one is prone to radical changes while the other affirms the administration’s ideological priorities, experts told the Daily Caller News Foundation.

With Milley, a Trump appointee, set to retire by October, President Joe Biden is expected to announce his pick to replace the outgoing Army four-star soon between top prospects Air Force chief of staff Gen. Charles Q. “C.Q.” Brown and Marine Corps commandant Gen. David Berger, according to The New York Times. Both would differ from Milley’s gregarious leadership style, but while Brown has experience in a key area of operations and satisfies the Biden administration’s focus on Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) in public service, Berger has shown the grit to make radical, if difficult, changes necessary for coming great power conflict, according to defense experts and media reports.

more
https://dailycaller.com/2023/04/09/general-mark-milley-retiring-contenders-replace-biden-top-adviser-military-affairs/
« Last Edit: April 10, 2023, 01:32:12 pm by mystery-ak »
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline mountaineer

Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline libertybele

General Mark Milley Is Retiring. Meet The Contenders To Replace Him As Biden’s Top Adviser On Military Affairs

............Both contenders to replace Gen. Mark Milley as chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff later this year are focused on change to counter China, but one is prone to radical changes while the other affirms the administration’s ideological priorities, experts told the Daily Caller News Foundation.

With Milley, a Trump appointee, set to retire by October, President Joe Biden is expected to announce his pick to replace the outgoing Army four-star soon between top prospects Air Force chief of staff Gen. Charles Q. “C.Q.” Brown and Marine Corps commandant Gen. David Berger, according to The New York Times. Both would differ from Milley’s gregarious leadership style, but while Brown has experience in a key area of operations and satisfies the Biden administration’s focus on Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) in public service, Berger has shown the grit to make radical, if difficult, changes necessary for coming great power conflict, according to defense experts and media reports. (RELATED: Gen. Mark Milley Complained Of Becoming Political ‘Lightning Rod’ After Defending CRT In The Military)

“As the symbol of the U.S. armed forces amid the ebb and flow of political tides, I think General Berger would be more unflappable but that General Brown might be more inspirational,” Patrick Cronin, Asia-Pacific security chair at Hudson Institute, told the DCNF.

Brown, a fighter pilot and the first African American to serve among the Joint Chiefs since Colin Powell became chairman three decades ago, is at the forefront of the race, the NYT reported, citing administration officials...................

https://www.conservativereview.com/general-mark-milley-is-retiring-meet-the-contenders-to-replace-him-as-bidens-top-adviser-on-military-affairs-2659759245.html
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline libertybele

I'm glad to see Milley retiring, but will his replacement be any better?

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

Brown, a fighter pilot and the first African American

I think  we all KNOW who has a lock on the nomination.

Miss Miley is probably going to go to work as an advisor to the Chinese.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
I'm glad to see Milley retiring, but will his replacement be any better?

@libertybele

No,but the good news is that he/she/undecided can't possibly be worse.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
"With Milley, a Trump appointee"

Another sterling example of DJT hiring only "the very best". /s

Maybe he and Fauxci can have one great big retirement party.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Mod2

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
"With Milley, a Trump appointee"

Another sterling example of DJT hiring only "the very best". /s

Maybe he and Fauxci can have one great big retirement party.

@catfish1957

Give it a freaking rest. Even you aren't stupid enough to actually believe that Trump picked Miley. Trump was brand new to politics,and nominated the man someone else picked and recommended.

When you are new to a "field",you MUST rely on others to advise you.

I am guessing THAT advisor won't be a part of his next term in office.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
@catfish1957

Give it a freaking rest. Even you aren't stupid enough to actually believe that Trump picked Miley. Trump was brand new to politics,and nominated the man someone else picked and recommended.

Stupid?  I went up high enough the corporate ladder far enough to understand the terms and concepts of due dilligence hiring, and accountibility. 

And to that assinine "New to the Field" comment?  Do you realize you basically have said that Trump was not qualified to be POTUS.  That's not me saying it.....  it's you.

And to the also assinine comment around relying on advisors?   That is also basically admitting that Trump is not even qualified or more likely smart enough to surround himself with a first level of competence in his managment team..  That's you saying it.....  not me.

Trump's 1st term was full of failed choices.  Look at the turnover, and the terms of how the people left.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2023, 04:24:00 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Kamaji

@catfish1957

So, in other words, you're admitting that Trump was incompetent to be president because he didn't have the management skills that a typical 45 y.o. middle manager would have had by that point in time.

Offline libertybele

Stupid?  I went up high enough the corporate ladder far enough to understand the terms and concepts of due dilligence hiring, and accountibility. 

And to that assinine "New to the Field" comment?  Do you realize you basically have said that Trump was not qualified to be POTUS.  That's not me saying it.....  it's you.

And to the also assinine comment around relying on advisors?   That is also basically admitting that Trump is not even qualified or more likely smart enough to surround himself with a first level of competence in his managment team..  That's you saying it.....  not me.

Trump's 1st term was full of failed choices.  Look at the turnover, and the terms of how the people left.

Trump lacked the experience of knowing the ins and outs of government. Therefore he relied on people that were less than trustworthy and/or competent.  His lack of that knowledge was a huge detriment to his presidency.

Offline Kamaji

Trump lacked the experience of knowing the ins and outs of government. Therefore he relied on people that were less than trustworthy and/or competent.  His lack of that knowledge was a huge detriment to his presidency.

WADR, that sort of skill is something one should have developed by the time one becomes a middle to senior level manager in any sizeable corporate structure.  If Trump lacked those skills, then he was simply an incompetent president.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Even you aren't stupid enough to actually believe that Trump picked Miley. Trump was brand new to politics,and nominated the man someone else picked and recommended.

When you are new to a "field",you MUST rely on others to advise you.  I am guessing THAT advisor won't be a part of his next term in office.

@sneakypete

I am sorry my friend, but that is not what happened.

First, Trump wasn't a brand new President when he picked Milley.  Milley was the Army Chief of Staff when Trump was elected, and it wasn't until 2 years later that Trump nominated him to be Chairman.  So Trump had a full 2 years to evaluate Milley's performance as Army Chief of Staff before elevating him to be the Chairman.

And it was during that two years that Milley pushed through a revision of Army physical fitness standards that lowered them (to help women).  He also was big on pushing climate change BS in the Army, so the writing was on the wall.

More importantly, Trump actually overruled the recommendation of both the Secretary of Defense and the current Chairman of the Joint Chiefs in selecting Milley as the new Chairman.   Milley was a Princeton and Columbia grad, and maybe Trump felt affinity for a fellow ivy League East Coaster.  In any event, based on his personal interview with the candidates, Trump overruled the recommendations of his most senior military subordinates, and went with Milley instead.  That was widely and openly reported at the time.

https://www.defensenews.com/pentagon/2019/07/25/milley-confirmation/

SecDef and CJCS had both recommended instead that the combat veteran pilot and Air Force Chief of Staff David Goldfein be made the new Chairman, but Trump overruled their recommendation. You can't blame a poor pick on the recommendations of subordinates when Trump actually overruled those subordinates and went with his own guy instead.

Milley is 100% on Trump, and Trump alone.

Truth is, Trump is a lone wolf alpha type who doesn't like anyone else being in the limelight, and makes decision impulsively from his gut rather than reading and researching.  Guys like that are inevitably going to make poor decisions when it comes to hiring subordinates.

Reagan came into office with trusted, sharp people like Baker, Meese, Deaver, and Cap Weinberger.  And that is because Reagan was the type of person for whom those kind of people wanted to work.

Trump isn't, and that's on him.

@Kamaji
« Last Edit: April 10, 2023, 08:52:16 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline Kamaji

@sneakypete

First, Trump wasn't a brand new President when he picked Milley.  Milley was the Army Chief of Staff when Trump was elected, and it wasn't until 2 years later that Trump nominated him to be Chairman.  So Trump had a full 2 years to evaluate Milley's performance as Army Chief of Staff before elevating him to be the Chairman.

And it was during that two years that Milley pushed through a revision of Army physical fitness standards that lowered them (to help women).  He also was big on pushing climate change BS in the Army, so the writing was on the wall.

More importantly, Trump actually overruled the recommendation of both the Secretary of Defense and the current Chairman of the Joint Chiefs in selecting Milley as the new Chairman.   Milley was a Princeton and Columbia grad, and maybe Trump felt affinity for a fellow elitist East Coaster.  In any event, based on his personal interview with the candidates, Trump overruled the recommendations of his most senior military subordinates, and went with Milley instead.

SecDef and CJCS had both recommended instead that the combat veteran pilot and Air Force Chief of Staff David Goldfein be made the new Chairman, but Trump overruled their recommendation. You can't blame a poor pick on the recommendations of subordinates when Trump actually overruled those subordinates and went with his own guy instead.

Truth is, Trump is a lone wolf alpha type who doesn't like anyone else being in the limelight, and makes decision impulsively from his gut rather than reading and researching.  Guys like that are inevitably going to make poor decisions when it comes to hiring subordinates.

Reagan came into office with trusted, sharp people like Baker, Meese, Deaver, and Cap Weinberger.  And that is because Reagan was the type of person for whom those kind of people wanted to work.

Trump isn't, and that's on him.

@Kamaji

:thumbsup:

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

@catfish1957

"Rude Orange Man skeers me!",blah,blah,blah.

Offline libertybele

@catfish1957

"Rude Orange Man skeers me!",blah,blah,blah.

The fact still remains that Trump didn't realize or acknowledge that running a country was much different than running a corporation.  That was obvious from the onset.

Trump's pick of people was very poor and caused him unneeded roadblocks and turmoil in his presidency.  He succeeded nonetheless, but he put people in place that went up against him.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

@libertybele

And THERE,it is. Like it or not,but US (and probably other nations) politics are an inbred crowd. If you don't "grow up" in that crowd,you don't know  who you  can trust,who to ask  for advise on specific judgements you have to make,or anything else because practically everybody  in office spends most of their time manuevering for more power and a more important position.

In the business world,a CEO can just fire these bastards.

In the political world,the only people who can "fire" them are the voters,and most of them are VERY careful to get as much "free stuff" as they can for the groups they count on to vote for them. The old "You scratch my back,and
I'll scratch your back" stystem dominates amongst the entrenched leadership.

And it is not just Trump. ANY "outsider" would get treated the same way if he just came off the street and his
"starter job" was being the President of the US. The career pols are too experienced to be obvious about it,but you can bet your ass the senior pols in both parties wanted him to fail because HE just "walked in and took over" the Dream Job of all of them.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
WADR, that sort of skill is something one should have developed by the time one becomes a middle to senior level manager in any sizeable corporate structure.

@Kamaji

I honestly can't believe  someone as intelligent as you would post a brain fart that loud.

The ONLY way to gain the experience necessary to be a President is to BE a President. Yeah,being a career pol trains you to understand and maneuver through the swamp of professional polittics, but that ain't the same thing as "Being the man",and you have to know that.

Unfortunately,America is now in a position where a career politician is NOT what we want because they are already so compromised by all the back-door deals they have made that we just can't trust them.

Voting for more of the same just GETS you more of the same.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
WADR, that sort of skill is something one should have developed by the time one becomes a middle to senior level manager in any sizeable corporate structure.  If Trump lacked those skills, then he was simply an incompetent president.

@Kamaji

I guess you believe the CEO of GM handles all the promotions and appoints all the department heads without consulting with  other big wigs he has known and worked with for years?

Maybe he just calls Manpower and asks them to send someone by to advise him?

Offline mountaineer

Actual photo of Milley and whomever will succeed him.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
@sneakypete

First, Trump wasn't a brand new President when he picked Milley.  Milley was the Army Chief of Staff when Trump was elected, and it wasn't until 2 years later that Trump nominated him to be Chairman. So Trump had a full 2 years to evaluate Milley's performance as Army Chief of Staff before elevating him to be the Chairman.

@Maj. Bill Martin

Yeah,cause he didn't have anything else to do,huh?

More importantly, Trump actually overruled the recommendation of both the Secretary of Defense and the current Chairman of the Joint Chiefs in selecting Milley as the new Chairman.

Miley was already  the guy "standing in the door",so for  all Trump knew about him was that he was the senior guy in line for the job.

Again,does the CEO  of GM take part in deciding who gets hire to park the cars in the lot?

Milley was a Princeton and Columbia grad, and maybe Trump felt affinity for a fellow ivy League East Coaster. 

Could be,but I SUSPECT it had more with a non-veteran like Trump look at Miss Miley  with all her "I wuz THERE!" ribbons and other doo-dahs,and thought he was an actual soldier instead of a punk that always got staff jobs when there was going to be any shooting anywhere near him.

In any event, based on his personal interview with the candidates, Trump overruled the recommendations of his most senior military subordinates, and went with Milley instead.

This is the first I heard  of that.

That was widely and openly reported at the time.

If so,I missed it. NOT doubting your word on this.

SecDef and CJCS had both recommended instead that the combat veteran pilot and Air Force Chief of Staff David Goldfein be made the new Chairman,

NO airdale should EVER be the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs. Their ONLY personal experience in combat is air combat,which is a VERY different thing that infantry combat.

but Trump overruled their recommendation.

I am sure someone he trusted suggested to him that he do that. After all,if you are a CEO and faced with a situation you personally know nothing about,you ask your aides and advisors.

You can't blame a poor pick on the recommendations of subordinates when Trump actually overruled those subordinates and went with his own guy instead.

ONLY because he was the man at the top at the time. The blame ALWAYS falls on the CEO when major bad decisions are made.

What we need is a "company man". Someone who knows  how  to follow orders and reach a consensus in order to take the credit if it goes right,and blame it on someone else if it doesn't.

What we need is JEB,huh?

No,that was because Reagan had been dipping his toes into politics for decades. It was a different time back then,and somone in show  biz  could come out in support of conservative candidates without fear of people wanting to burn him at the stake.

@Kamaji

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Actual photo of Milley and whomever will succeed him.

They look like my three year old granddaughter got a hold of them with her sticker book.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
All you have to do is look at the two pics in post 1 to understand who's gonna get the job...

Offline mountaineer

All you have to do is look at the two pics in post 1 to understand who's gonna get the job...
Yep.