Author Topic: ICE arrests a retired Salvadoran military officer accused of involvement in El Mozote massacre  (Read 107 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
ICE arrests a retired Salvadoran military officer accused of involvement in El Mozote massacre
More than 1,000 adults and children were killed there in 1981 by the military searching for an alleged training camp.

April 6, 2023, 4:00 PM EDT
By Carmen Sesin

The U.S. has arrested a Salvadoran retired military officer for his alleged involvement in the El Mozote massacre, one of the most widely known killings in recent Latin American history.

Roberto Antonio Garay Saravia, a retired officer from the Salvadoran Armed Forces, was arrested in New Jersey on Tuesday by Immigration and Customs Enforcement and Removal Operations officers with the assistance of Homeland Security Investigations agents.

He was arrested on charges of assisting or otherwise participating in extrajudicial killings and willfully misrepresenting this material fact in his immigration application, the Department of Homeland Security said in a news release.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/latino/ice-arrests-salvadoran-military-general-garay-massacre-mozote-rcna78571
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson