Author Topic: On the Physical Death of Jesus Christ  (Read 868 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
On the Physical Death of Jesus Christ
« on: April 07, 2023, 07:23:58 pm »
On the Physical Death of Jesus Christ

April 1986JAMA The Journal of the American Medical Association 255(11):1455-63

William D Edwards

Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research

Abstract and Figures

Jesus of Nazareth underwent Jewish and Roman trials, was flogged, and was sentenced to death by crucifixion. The scourging produced deep stripelike lacerations and appreciable blood loss, and it probably set the stage for hypovolemic shock, as evidenced by the fact that Jesus was too weakened to carry the crossbar (patibulum) to Golgotha. At the site of crucifixion, his wrists were nailed to the patibulum and, after the patibulum was lifted onto the upright post (stipes), his feet were nailed to the stipes. The major pathophysiologic effect of crucifixion was an interference with normal respirations. Accordingly, death resulted primarily from hypovolemic shock and exhaustion asphyxia. Jesus' death was ensured by the thrust of a soldier's spear into his side. Modern medical interpretation of the historical evidence indicates that Jesus was dead when taken down from the cross.

more
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/19648788_On_the_Physical_Death_of_Jesus_Christ
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline deb

• Sinner saved by grace.
Re: On the Physical Death of Jesus Christ
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2023, 07:29:07 pm »
And when I think, that God, His Son not sparing;
Sent Him to die, I scarce can take it in;
That on a Cross, my burdens gladly bearing,
He bled and died to take away my sin.
Brothers, sisters, come on down to that river
Guaranteed you'll never be the same
There's a fountain flowing from the heart of the Savior
Bring your sins and all your guilty stains
Let that river of life wash it all away

River of Life - Mac Powell

Online libertybele

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2023, 07:32:15 pm »
Reflecting back on the movie "The Passion of the Christ" -- we've seen it a couple of times.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2023, 07:39:44 pm »
Reflecting back on the movie "The Passion of the Christ" -- we've seen it a couple of times.

I have a copy of it...I can't watch it again..I barely made it through the first time.

One thing that was new to me in this article is that they broke Jesus's legs just below the knee...
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2023, 07:43:06 pm »
Lee Strobel interviewed a forensic expert on this which he published in his book The Case for Christ.  Crucifixion was so painful that the Romans invented a new word for it - ex-cruc-iating (i.e. from the cross)
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline deb

• Sinner saved by grace.
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2023, 07:45:09 pm »
I have a copy of it...I can't watch it again..I barely made it through the first time.

One thing that was new to me in this article is that they broke Jesus's legs just below the knee...

Breaking bones was standard fare, but they did not do that to Jesus. This from Christianity.com:

When Jesus, whom John the Baptist proclaimed to be “the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world” , was crucified, not one of his bones was broken. John 19:31-34 tells us that when the soldiers came to Jesus to break his legs to hasten his death, they found that he was already dead, so they pierced his side with a spear but did not break his legs.
Brothers, sisters, come on down to that river
Guaranteed you'll never be the same
There's a fountain flowing from the heart of the Savior
Bring your sins and all your guilty stains
Let that river of life wash it all away

River of Life - Mac Powell

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2023, 07:45:32 pm »

No, they weren't. See John 19:33
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2023, 07:48:08 pm »
Breaking bones was standard fare, but they did not do that to Jesus. This from Christianity.com:

When Jesus, whom John the Baptist proclaimed to be “the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world” , was crucified, not one of his bones was broken. John 19:31-34 tells us that when the soldiers came to Jesus to break his legs to hasten his death, they found that he was already dead, so they pierced his side with a spear but did not break his legs.

Thanks for the info...I guess I better read John..
Support the USO

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2023, 08:00:44 pm »

The reason that legs were broken was to make it impossible for the victim to breathe.  Crucifixion involved driving spikes through a person's wrist in between the ulna and radius bones to ensure that the victim could not pull free.  Another set of spikes was driven through the feet do secure them to an angled platform lower on the cross.  When the cross was uprighted, the momentum of it sliding into the support shaft would dislocate both of the victim's shoulders.  The only way a victim could breath was to push up from the feet to increase the volume of the chest cavity.

When the Romans wanted a person to die quicker, they would break their legs, causing them to suffocate since they could no longer push up.  Christ was already dead at this point, thus there was no longer a need to do so.  But it is interesting that the Romans chose to check beforehand.  When He was stabbed with a spear, water came out.  This was due to pericardial effusion brought on by the trauma.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2023, 08:10:41 pm »
I went and read John..I have read this many times..why I didn't remember this is beyond me..
Support the USO

Offline berdie

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2023, 09:23:33 pm »
Many years ago, as a relatively young person, I was allowed to check out a book at the library that detailed the effects of crucifixion and what Jesus must have gone thru.

It had a profound affect on me and I have never been able to watch The Passion. 

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2023, 09:39:17 pm »

To breathe, the crucified person has to pull/push themselves up to empty their lungs for the next breath (think the old chest pressure/arm lift method of artificial respiration). Just hanging there would not allow them to exhale well, if at all.
Breaking His legs just ensured his demise would come more quickly.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis