Author Topic: Miami Herald changes misleading headline after Dem activist Rebekah Jones' son arrested for threats  (Read 213 times)

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Looks like mental illness runs in 'Becca's fam. 

The Miami Herald published an inaccurate headline about the arrest of former Democratic candidate Rebekah Jones' son Thursday.

Jones is a former Florida state employee who accused the DeSantis administration of hiding data about the severity of the COVID-19 pandemic from the public. A state inspector general later determined her claims to be false.

The Herald article's original title, "13-year-old son of Rebekah Jones, whistleblower who clashed with DeSantis, arrested over memes," made it appear as though Jones' son was arrested for making jokes.

However, in reality, Jones' son was arrested for allegedly threatening to shoot up his school. The Herald later changed its headline to "Son of Rebekah Jones, Florida Whistleblower, arrested in probe of threatening internet posts."

GOP Florida House comms staffer Andres Malave tweeted the headline comparison.

The Pensacola News Journal reported, in an article titled "Rebekah Jones' son arrested in Florida after allegedly threatening to shoot up school, stab students," that the son wrote several troubling messages on social media, including:

"I want to shoot up the school."

If I get a gun I’m gonna shoot up [Holley Navarre Middle School] lol."

"I’m getting a wrath and natural selection shirt so maybe but I don’t think many ppl know what the columbine shooters look like."

"Okay so it’s been like 3-4 weeks since I got on my new antidepressants and they aren’t working but they’re suppose to by now so I have no hope in getting better so why not kill the losers at school."
https://www.foxnews.com/media/miami-herald-changes-misleading-headline-dem-activist-rebekah-jones-son-arrested-threats
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
As is her habit, Jones immediately started lying about the case:

“My family is not safe,” Rebekah Jones tweeted. “My son has been taken on the gov’s orders, and I’ve had to send my husband and daughter out of state for their safety. THIS is the reality of living in DeSantis’ Florida. There is no freedom here. Only retaliatory rule by a fascist who wishes to be king.”

A new GoFundMe is imminent, no doubt.

https://www.nationalreview.com/corner/rebekah-joness-son-arrested-for-threatening-to-shoot-up-a-school/
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.