Author Topic: A Surprise Accusation Bolsters a Risky Case Against Trump  (Read 312 times)

Online libertybele

A Surprise Accusation Bolsters a Risky Case Against Trump
« on: April 05, 2023, 09:52:43 pm »
The left's viewpoint:

A Surprise Accusation Bolsters a Risky Case Against Trump

The unsealed indictment against former President Donald Trump on Tuesday laid out an unexpected accusation that bolstered what many legal experts have described as an otherwise risky and novel case: Prosecutors claim he falsified business records in part for a plan to deceive state tax authorities.

For weeks, observers have wondered about the exact charges Manhattan District Attorney Alvin Bragg would bring. Accusing Trump of bookkeeping fraud to conceal campaign finance violations, many believed, could raise significant legal challenges. That accusation turned out to be a major part of Bragg’s theory — but not all of it.

“Pundits have been speculating that Trump would be charged with lying about the hush-money payments to illegally affect an election, and that theory rests on controversial legal issues and could be hard to prove,” said Rebecca Roiphe, a New York Law School professor and former state prosecutor.

“It turns out the indictment also includes a claim that Trump falsified records to commit a state tax crime,” she continued. “That’s a much simpler charge that avoids the potential pitfalls.”

The indictment listed 34 counts of bookkeeping fraud related to Trump’s reimbursement in 2017 to Michael Cohen, his former lawyer and fixer...............

..................But bookkeeping fraud is normally a misdemeanor. For it to rise to a felony, prosecutors must show that a defendant intended to commit, aid or conceal a second crime — raising the question of what other crime Bragg would contend is involved.

On Tuesday, Bragg suggested that prosecutors are putting forward multiple theories for the second crime, potentially giving judges and jurors alternative routes to finding that bookkeeping fraud was a felony.

As was widely predicted, he is pointing toward alleged violations of both federal and state elections laws. By doing so, he is in part plunging forward with a premise that has given pause to even some of Trump’s toughest critics.

As a matter of substance, it can be ambiguous whether paying off a mistress was a campaign expenditure or a personal one.

As a matter of legal process, to cite federal law raises the untested question of whether a state prosecutor can invoke a federal crime even though he lacks jurisdiction to charge that crime himself. Still, Article 175 does not say that the second intended crime must be a state-law offense.......................

https://www.yahoo.com/news/surprise-accusation-bolsters-risky-case-113626001.html
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline LMAO

Re: A Surprise Accusation Bolsters a Risky Case Against Trump
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2023, 10:17:02 pm »
We’re going to hear a lot of things thrown out there by both sides on this.

But just maybe I’d be able to take this somewhat seriously if the likes of Alvin Bragg didn’t bring it
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Re: A Surprise Accusation Bolsters a Risky Case Against Trump
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2023, 10:24:17 pm »
This is almost like Five Degrees of Kevin Bacon, except these guys are at about 6 or 7 degrees of legal leaps in needing to prove their case.

And I'm sure the judge will allow all of it, and the jury will rubber stamp the the guilty verdict within 2 minutes.
The Republic is lost.