Author Topic: The Cost of Biden’s ‘Democracy’ Fixation  (Read 171 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
The Cost of Biden’s ‘Democracy’ Fixation
« on: April 05, 2023, 03:26:46 pm »
The Cost of Biden’s ‘Democracy’ Fixation
It alienates allies his foreign policy needs both domestically and around the world.
Walter Russell Mead 
April 3, 2023 6:25 pm ET

From his 2021 address through the Munich Security Conference to last week’s Summit for Democracy, President Biden has been clear. He wants to frame world politics as a contest between liberal democracy and autocracy. That’s unfortunate. While not completely misguided, this approach hampers America’s diplomacy overseas and further erodes the weak consensus at home behind a strong American foreign policy around the world.

Mr. Biden is invoking an old American tradition here. Woodrow Wilson and Franklin D. Roosevelt framed the world wars as conflicts between democracy and dictatorship. And from Harry S. Truman to Ronald Reagan, America’s Cold War presidents used similar language.

Mr. Biden isn’t all wrong. If the U.S. and its allies lose the contest, and people like Xi Jinping, Vladimir Putin and their hangers-on in countries like North Korea and Nicaragua get to determine the world’s future, democracy isn’t going to flourish.

Nevertheless, the president and his team need to think again. Defining the current contest as one between democracies and autocracies is a flawed strategy. Abroad, this approach weakens America’s ties with key allies and exposes us to devastating charges of systemic hypocrisy. At home and abroad, the widespread unpopularity of the expanded version of democracy Mr. Biden expounds—including controversial stands on issues like trans rights—is too polarizing and divisive to support the long-term consensus American foreign policy needs for success.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-cost-of-bidens-democracy-fixation-autocracy-summit-freedom-house-ideology-foreign-policy-middle-east-86638fc5?mod=opinion_featst_pos1
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Kamaji

Re: The Cost of Biden’s ‘Democracy’ Fixation
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2023, 09:07:13 am »

He wants to frame world politics as a contest between liberal democracy and autocracy.

With the US on the side of autocracy. 

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2023, 03:48:04 pm »
With the US on the side of autocracy.
When a democrat tells me they want 'liberal democracy', not autocracy all I can think is

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2023, 12:24:33 pm »
When a democrat tells me they want 'liberal democracy', not autocracy all I can think is

:thumbsup: