Author Topic: Trump lawyer Joe Tacopina: Weak charges ‘a relief’ that will be thrown out before trial  (Read 233 times)

Offline Kamaji

Trump lawyer Joe Tacopina: Weak charges ‘a relief’ that will be thrown out before trial

By Lee Brown
April 5, 2023

An attorney for former President Donald Trump on Wednesday dismissed the 34 federal charges as “spin” that will never make trial — insisting it was “a relief” to see how weak the final indictment is.

“I mean, where were the underlying charges in the indictment?” a baffled-sounding Joe Tacopina asked on the “Today” show a day after the indictment was finally posted after the 45th president appeared in Manhattan criminal court.

“The indictment did not list what these underlying charges are,” he said of the charges for falsifying business records tied to at-times unspecified campaign violations.

“Understand, these false business record entries — which are not even false — are misdemeanor counts” for which “the statute of limitations is long gone,” he claimed.

“The only way to make this a felony is to cobble together a couple of misdemeanors — the false business records and the attempt to cover up another crime. But the indictment doesn’t even list what the crime is.”

Source:  https://nypost.com/2023/04/05/trump-lawyer-joe-tacopina-calls-weak-indictment-a-relief/

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
He's right about the weakness of the charges. Not so sure about the never making it to trial part.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline libertybele

He's right about the weakness of the charges. Not so sure about the never making it to trial part.

Yes, he's right about the charges being weak, but IMHO they will find a way to continue this horse and pony show for as long as they can.  I still fear that Trump isn't going to escape jail time and fines which will keep him from running again.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline BellyAche

There is talk of a certain "paper trail" of signed checks, emails, and texts. This will all have to play out and may make a weak case into a long arduous affair to manipulate Trump's time and focus.
Do what you can, with what you have, where you are. - Theodore Roosevelt