Author Topic: Mayor Adams orders $1 billion in annual budget cuts for four years - but no layoffs  (Read 587 times)

Offline Kamaji

Mayor Adams orders $1 billion in annual budget cuts for four years

By Bernadette Hogan and Jesse O’Neill
April 4, 2023

Mayor Eric Adams on Tuesday ordered city agencies to slash a total of $1 billion annually from their budgets for each of the next four years, blaming the move partly on the migrant crisis.

The dire directive came one day after City Council leaders said there was $1.3 billion in extra taxpayer cash this year to offset costs and two months since the city’s Independent Budget Office projected a $4.9 billion surplus in 2023 and a $2.6 billion surplus in 2024.

City Hall dismissed council claims of a surplus Tuesday as nothing more than budget mumbo jumbo to pressure the mayor to avoid cuts — and even an IBO official said his agency would likely have to revise its glowing projection.

“Proposals in the state budget, the growing asylum-seeker costs and slowing economic growth increase are all reasons to be cautious,” acknowledged Logan Clark, IBO’s assistant director of budget review.

State Comptroller Tom DiNapoli has already cautioned that the Big Apple’s budget deficit could rise to $13.9 billion by 2027 — double what City Hall has predicted.

Jiha said agencies must submit their proposals for the cuts by April 14 but added that “they cannot include layoffs and should avoid meaningfully impacting services where possible.

Source:  https://nypost.com/2023/04/04/adams-orders-1-billion-in-annual-budget-cuts-for-three-years/

Offline Kamaji

Wonder how that's going to work.  Make significant budget cuts, but do so without laying off anyone, and with as few service cuts as possible.

So, what's going to happen?  Most likely, services will suffer, but staff levels will remain, with the result that there will be even more government employees getting full pay and benefits to sit around and do nothing.

:facepalm2:

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Wonder how that's going to work.  Make significant budget cuts, but do so without laying off anyone, and with as few service cuts as possible.

So, what's going to happen?  Most likely, services will suffer, but staff levels will remain, with the result that there will be even more government employees getting full pay and benefits to sit around and do nothing.

:facepalm2:
Well I bet the police officers retiring and quitting will be a help, and technically that's not laying people off and with the restrictions they have put on police actually doing their jobs I'm not sure people would see a service cut.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

////00000////

Garbage men pick up trash for tips?
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline Kamaji

Well I bet the police officers retiring and quitting will be a help, and technically that's not laying people off and with the restrictions they have put on police actually doing their jobs I'm not sure people would see a service cut.

What they may hope for is that senior officers who have made their 20 will retire in droves, and they can then replace them with newbies still wet behind the ear who get paid very little comparatively.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
What they may hope for is that senior officers who have made their 20 will retire in droves, and they can then replace them with newbies still wet behind the ear who get paid very little comparatively.
Not just the seniors, I wonder how many PTSD and other disability retirement claims they get.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
New Math?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online LMAO

Politicians make grand promises

But math eventually wins
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline DefiantMassRINO

////00000////

They eschew math because it's systemically racist, especially the maths that make use of Greek alphabet for functions and variables.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.