Author Topic: Liberal judge wins Wisconsin Supreme Court race, ending 15 years of conservative control  (Read 547 times)

Offline Kamaji

Liberal judge wins Wisconsin Supreme Court race, ending 15 years of conservative control

By Victor Nava
April 5, 2023

Liberal Milwaukee Judge Janet Protasiewicz won Tuesday’s high-stakes Wisconsin Supreme Court election — ending 15 years of conservative control in the state’s high court with key rulings on abortion rights and redistricting on the horizon.

Protasiewicz’s victory against former Justice Daniel Kelly ensures that the Wisconsin Supreme Court will be controlled 4-3 by liberal judges.

With 75% of the vote in, the Associated Press called the race for Protasiewicz, who had received 55.41% of the vote compared to Kelly’s 44.59%.

The state’s high court is expected to rule on a pending lawsuit challenging the state’s 1849 law outlawing abortion.

While refusing to say how she would rule in the case, abortion was a focus of Protasiewicz’s campaign, and her pro-abortion rights views won her the backing of Planned Parenthood and other abortion rights groups.

Source:  https://nypost.com/2023/04/05/liberal-judge-janet-protasiewicz-wins-wisconsin-supreme-court-race/

Offline Kamaji

Bye-bye Wisconsin.

Offline dfwgator

Bye-bye Wisconsin.

How many "Conservative" voters in Wisconsin even bothered to turn out? 

They'll get what they deserve, good and hard.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
 8888crybaby

Pro-Life Groups: Real Losers of Wisconsin Supreme Court Race Are ‘Innocent Preborn Babies’

Democrat Janet Protasiewicz secured a seat on the Wisconsin Supreme Court over Republican Daniel Kelly on Tuesday night — but the pro-life group Students for Life Action said the real losers are the “innocent preborn babies who will face a death penalty.”

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2023/04/04/pro-life-groups-real-losers-wisconsin-supreme-court-race-innocent-preborn-babies/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
How many "Conservative" voters in Wisconsin even bothered to turn out? 

They'll get what they deserve, good and hard.

Too distracted by the Trump circus IMO.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Guess we're going to have to know the turnout to see if the GOP gave this one away.
The Republic is lost.

Online massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
This distresses me more than the Chicago election. Wisconsin should know better.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Daniel Kelly slams opponent in vitriolic Supreme Court concession speech
by Barnini Chakraborty, Senior Investigations Reporter |
April 05, 2023 12:07 PM

There was no grace in former Wisconsin Justice Dan Kelly's concession speech Tuesday night.

In a rant laced with vitriol, the conservative father of five blasted his liberal opponent, Judge Janet Protasiewicz, in a race for Wisconsin's Supreme Court, calling her a "serial liar" and an unworthy candidate who is capable of creating havoc and doing irreparable harm to the battleground state.

More than 200 people came out to the Heidel House Hotel in Green Lake, Wisconsin, to give Kelly a three-minute standing ovation following his loss to Protasiewicz in a contest that shattered spending and spring voter turnout records.

"I wish that in a circumstance like this, I would be able to concede to a worthy opponent, but I do not have a worthy opponent to which I can concede," he said. "This was the most deeply deceitful, dishonorable, despicable campaign that I have ever seen run for the courts."

He ended his speech by wishing Wisconsin "the best of luck because I think it's going to need it."

more
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/campaign/wisconsin-concession-speech-dan-kelly
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Online massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
"calling her a "serial liar" and an unworthy candidate who is capable of creating havoc and doing irreparable harm..."

In other words, a typical Dem.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Wisconsin Supreme Court Election Sees Record-High Voter Turnout

Katherine Hamilton 5 Apr 2023

The Wisconsin Supreme Court election on Tuesday saw record-high voter turnout for a spring election not coinciding with a presidential race, Fox News reported.

“Over 36 percent of eligible Wisconsin voters participated in the highly-anticipated election, surpassing the previous high of 34 percent set in the 2011 state Supreme Court race,” according to the report. “…Over 1.7 million Wisconsin voters participated in the Tuesday election — surpassing the approximately 1.6 million voters who took part in the 2011 election, which elected Justice David Prosser.”

Democrat Janet Protasiewicz secured a seat on the Wisconsin Supreme Court over Republican Daniel Kelly, giving liberals control over the state’s high court for the first time in 15 years and shattering the court’s current fragile 4-3 conservative majority. The previous makeup of the court came within one vote of overturning President Biden’s win in the state in 2020.

Protasiewicz notably leaned into her left-wing worldview while campaigning, decrying the state’s election maps as “rigged” and accusing the U.S. Supreme Court of “incorrectly” deciding the Dobbs v. Jackson Women’s Health Organization decision. Her victory means she will likely get to weigh in on a challenge to the state’s 1849 abortion ban, which went into effect after the Supreme Court overturned Roe v. Wade.

“I can tell you with certainty that if I’m elected on April 4th, I’m sure that we will be looking — I am sure we will be looking — at that 1849 law,” Protasiewicz said at a campaign stop in March, adding that she “believe in a woman’s right to choose.”

The results of the election could also impact how lawmakers redraw the state’s legislative districts ahead of the 2024 presidential election as well as parents’ rights, Second Amendment rights, and religious liberty.

more
https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2023/04/05/wisconsin-supreme-court-election-sees-record-high-voter-turnout/
Support the USO

Offline libertybele

State by state, judge by judge, senator by senator, representative by representative, the GOP is losing. 

Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
State by state, judge by judge, senator by senator, representative by representative, the GOP is losing.

The thing is we could stop that by cleaning up the voter rolls and the registration process to stop the Rats from stuffing the ballot box, but just about everyone in the GOP except Tom Fitton of Judicial Watch seems to be asleep at the wheel.

I would like to see the turnout stats broken down by demographic to see how things shook out.
The Republic is lost.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
 Wisconsin Supreme Court victory adds wind to Democrats’ sails
by Caroline Vakil - 04/06/23 6:00 AM ET

Democrats’ victory in the Wisconsin Supreme Court race on Tuesday is energizing the party in the perennial battleground state likely to play a major role in 2024. 

Milwaukee County Judge Janet Protasiewicz, seen as the liberal candidate, won the election Tuesday night for a vacant seat on the Wisconsin Supreme Court against former state Supreme Court Justice Daniel Kelly, seen as the conservative candidate. It will be the first time in 15 years that the state’s high court will have a liberal majority.

Her win gave the party a boost of momentum in the Badger State, where Democrats are gearing up for both a presidential election and race for Sen. Tammy Baldwin’s (D) seat.

“If I’m Tammy Baldwin, I’m feeling pretty good right now,” said Miles Coleman, an associate editor with Sabato’s Crystal Ball. Baldwin has not officially declared a reelection run.

Democrats felt optimistic, too, about the recent electoral results — and what it says for abortion rights as a galvanizing issue. 

“My Republican friends have their work cut out for them,” said Wisconsin-based Democratic strategist Joe Zepecki, who said Republicans “continue to bleed support in suburban communities.”

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/3936521-wisconsin-supreme-court-victory-adds-wind-to-democrats-sails/
Support the USO

Offline LMAO

Bye-bye Wisconsin.

There are two issues that ran in this SC  election here

The abortion issue was a biggie

But Democrats also tied Dan Kelly close to Donald Trump. They used his 2020 endorsement against Kelly. And they ran ads implying he was an “election denier.”

The commercials against Kelly were devastating
« Last Edit: April 06, 2023, 06:04:14 pm by LMAO »
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline LMAO

From the article….

He ended his speech by wishing Wisconsin "the best of luck because I think it's going to need it."

Yeah
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Baby killers!
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline LMAO

Bigly

Barry Goldwater

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Support the USO