Author Topic: Tens of thousands of undocumented immigrants could qualify for MinnesotaCare under proposed bill  (Read 107 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Tens of thousands of undocumented immigrants could qualify for MinnesotaCare under proposed bill

The bill has been introduced in the Minnesota House and Senate, and could allow nearly 40,000 low-income, undocumented residents to access state health insurance.
By HIBAH ANSARI
APRIL 5, 2023

A bill moving through the Minnesota Legislature would allow undocumented residents to sign up for health insurance—a potential boon for thousands of front-line workers who face higher-than-average risk of illness or injury.

The bill would make it possible for them to enroll in MinnesotaCare, the state’s health insurance program for low-income individuals and families. That program currently requires recipients to be U.S. citizens or lawful residents.

An estimated 81,000 undocumented people live in Minnesota, according to the Migration Policy Institute, a Washington, D.C., research agency. The bill’s fiscal notes say about half of that population would be eligible for MinnesotaCare because they have an income below 200 percent of the federal poverty line.

https://sahanjournal.com/health/tens-of-thousands-of-undocumented-immigrants-could-quality-for-minnesotacare-under-proposed-bill/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson