Author Topic: Bill Ponton's "Reality Check" On UK Wind Power: The Issue Of Energy Storage  (Read 91 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Bill Ponton's "Reality Check" On UK Wind Power: The Issue Of Energy Storage
April 03, 2023/ Francis Menton

Bill Ponton’s new Report, “The Cost of Increasing Wind Power: A Reality Check,” contains a short but pithy section addressing the question of energy storage.  Here’s the question to be addressed:  If after the first round of overbuilding, adding new wind generation resources adds little useful energy and most of the added generation ends up getting “curtailed,” then why not just add some batteries or other energy storage to the system?  Wind energy advocates suggest that some form of  batteries can store the excess electricity production until it is needed, and everything will then just balance out in perfect equilibrium. 

Is there any problem here?  Ponton does the simple calculations with his UK 2022 spreadsheet to derive how much storage in GWh will be needed, and what its functional characteristics must be.  His results are very similar to the results of comparable exercises previously undertaken by Roger Andrews for California and Germany, and Ken Gregory for the U.S.

https://www.manhattancontrarian.com/blog/2023-4-3-bill-pontons-reality-check-on-uk-wind-power-energy-storage
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson