Author Topic: Cost to Fix Gears on $13 Billion Aircraft Carrier Has Contractors Dickering  (Read 260 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Cost to Fix Gears on $13 Billion Aircraft Carrier Has Contractors Dickering
Story by Tony Capaccio • 8h ago

(Bloomberg) -- Five years after the US Navy’s costliest warship was crippled by flawed engine gears, prime contractor HII says it may be close to resolving a claim against subcontractor General Electric Co. over who will pay for fixing the defect.

The propulsion problem that forced the USS Gerald R. Ford to return to port in 2018 was one of many issues of varying severity that the $13 billion aircraft carrier has faced since its May 2017 delivery. The Navy declared the gears fixed in May 2019, and the service advanced funds to HII to fix the issue.

“At some point you’ve got to pay them to get the work done,” Vice Admiral Thomas Moore, head of the Naval Sea Systems Command at the time, said in 2019. But who will ultimately foot the bill remains unresolved. While no current estimates of the cost were available, in 2018 the Navy asked Congress to shift $30 million from other accounts to start repairing the damage.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/cost-to-fix-gears-on-13-billion-aircraft-carrier-has-contractors-dickering/ar-AA19poPI?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=fc3c07aa488c45679f91ce2c38d8ef33&ei=15
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
We all know the taxpayer will ultimately pay for that money sucking siphon.
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
No warranty?
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
No warranty?

Yes, there is.  The costs will be much higher than stated and lots of modifications will be needed!
Thomas Jefferson