Author Topic: Pandemic pounds push 10,000 Army soldiers into obesity  (Read 288 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Pandemic pounds push 10,000 Army soldiers into obesity
« on: April 02, 2023, 02:38:59 pm »
Pandemic pounds push 10,000 Army soldiers into obesity
By Jonel Aleccia, AP
 Apr 2, 10:08 AM

After gaining 30 pounds during the COVID-19 pandemic, Army Staff Sgt. Daniel Murillo is finally getting back into fighting shape.

Early pandemic lockdowns, endless hours on his laptop and heightened stress led Murillo, 27, to reach for cookies and chips in the barracks at Fort Bragg in North Carolina. Gyms were closed, organized exercise was out and Murillo’s motivation to work out on his own was low.

“I could notice it,” said Murillo, who is 5 feet, 5 inches tall and weighed as much as 192 pounds. “The uniform was tighter.”

Murillo wasn’t the only service member dealing with extra weight. New research found that obesity in the U.S. military surged during the pandemic. In the Army alone, nearly 10,000 active duty soldiers developed obesity between February 2019 and June 2021, pushing the rate to nearly a quarter of the troops studied. Increases were seen in the Navy and the Marines, too.

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/your-army/2023/04/02/pandemic-pounds-push-10000-army-soldiers-into-obesity/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Pandemic pounds push 10,000 Army soldiers into obesity
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2023, 02:43:21 pm »
It didn't push me into obesity, no siree!  Maybe because I was already there.  Be that as it may.  By the way, what is the definition of fighting shape today?  Does it have something to do with how well a person retains CRT knowledge or pronoun usage or anything woke *****rollingeyes*****?
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2023, 03:07:37 pm »
And they wonder why recruiting is down?

Nothing like storming a beach with a half a dozen Sgt. Schulz in your battalion 
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2023, 04:42:06 am »
And they wonder why recruiting is down?

Nothing like storming a beach with a half a dozen Sgt. Schulz in your battalion
'Specially if they are winking at you...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis