Author Topic: The U.S. Military’s Great Relearning  (Read 63 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
The U.S. Military’s Great Relearning
« on: April 03, 2023, 03:31:10 pm »
The U.S. Military’s Great Relearning
Opinion by James Holmes • Yesterday 7:08 PM

Last week the amphibian pundit CDR Salamander had some tart words for Joint Chiefs chairman Mark Milley. General Milley recently held forth on the Ukraine war, maintaining that “a big lesson learned” from the Russian invasion is “the incredible consumption rates of conventional munitions” even in a limited regional conflagration. A war in Korea or the Taiwan Strait would consume far more.

Sal traces this “gobsmacking” statement from America’s top-ranking uniformed military officer to faulty wargaming, and there’s doubtless truth to that. Any system of logic is founded on assumptions that can be neither proved nor disproved within the system. They’re taken as self-evident, much like the “givens” from which students try to work proofs in grade-school algebra or geometry.

Assumptions are powerful things. If they’re deeply flawed, a game based on them tends to produce results incongruent with reality. Garbage in, garbage out.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/opinion/the-u-s-military-s-great-relearning/ar-AA19obN3?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=cd554f5342ef4e1bb97ba843055b8710&ei=22
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson