Author Topic: NATO is getting bigger, but little will change for US troops, experts say  (Read 71 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
NATO is getting bigger, but little will change for US troops, experts say
Putin will soon share another 810 miles of his border with a NATO member.

BY JEFF SCHOGOL | PUBLISHED MAR 31, 2023 4:31 PM EDT

If Russian President Vladimir Putin expected that divisions within the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO)  would cause the alliance to shatter once his forces invaded Ukraine, then he wildly miscalculated.

NATO is about to welcome its newest member now that the Turkish parliament approved Finland’s request to join the Alliance. Including Finland, NATO will soon include 31 countries.

Both Finland and Sweden applied for NATO membership after Russia launched its full-scale attack on Ukraine last February. So far, Turkey and Hungary have blocked Sweden from joining the alliance due to political disagreements. 

However, the fact that Finland and Sweden have sought to join NATO is remarkable considering that both countries have been nonaligned for decades. With Finland poised to join the alliance, Putin will soon share another 810 miles with a member of NATO, which considers any armed attack on an individual NATO member as an act of aggression against the entire alliance.

https://taskandpurpose.com/news/nato-finland-military-presence/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson