Author Topic: Win 11 to Win 10  (Read 963 times)

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Win 11 to Win 10
« on: April 01, 2023, 02:35:27 am »
My win 11 computer started giving me a lot of trouble,so I bought a reconditioned laptop from Amazon,and the damn thing was pre-loaded with Win 10.

It has been nothing but  one nightmare after another  trying  to load the Win 11 files on the Win 10 computer. Suddenly,the passwords I have used for more than 10 years do not work,and I have to sign in using a new password.

Is this me,or the computer?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline roamer_1

Re: Win 11 to Win 10
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2023, 02:54:45 am »
My win 11 computer started giving me a lot of trouble,so I bought a reconditioned laptop from Amazon,and the damn thing was pre-loaded with Win 10.

It has been nothing but  one nightmare after another  trying  to load the Win 11 files on the Win 10 computer. Suddenly,the passwords I have used for more than 10 years do not work,and I have to sign in using a new password.

Is this me,or the computer?

@sneakypete

It's you... You have to be very careful setting up a new user. It is going to try to make you log on with a microsoft user email, and a variety of ways to input the password...

But if you are careful and LOOK, usually on the off side of the dialog, there is a way to NOT do that, and go the old skool way...

If you are like most folks you do not want the internet login, and just want to log in with a username and password... The now NOT normal way... According to MS.

I don't know if you ever did put in a user and password... and then later switched it to internet login, or if you just followed instructions and wound up with an internet login...

But I betcha that's your dilemma.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2023, 02:58:23 am »
@sneakypete

It's you... You have to be very careful setting up a new user. It is going to try to make you log on with a microsoft user email, and a variety of ways to input the password...

But if you are careful and LOOK, usually on the off side of the dialog, there is a way to NOT do that, and go the old skool way...

If you are like most folks you do not want the internet login, and just want to log in with a username and password... The now NOT normal way... According to MS.

I don't know if you ever did put in a user and password... and then later switched it to internet login, or if you just followed instructions and wound up with an internet login...

But I betcha that's your dilemma.

@roamer_1

I didn't even know there was another way. Chemo brain makes it VERY hard to adapt to new systems.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2023, 03:36:02 pm »
@roamer_1

I didn't even know there was another way. Chemo brain makes it VERY hard to adapt to new systems.

@sneakypete
That part ain't you... MANY people get herded to it, just like you.

I ain't forgot this... Trying to figure out how to counsel you. There is a way to switch it back to user/password... If the user/password is there. I am trying to figure out if there is a way to do that without it being very complicated, and unwieldy to explain.

I will chew on it a bit.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2023, 03:49:32 pm »
@sneakypete

Alright, @sneakypete
Some things to do before we fix it.
I need some information.

In file manager... CHANGE NOTHING...
Go to My PC
Find C: drive and poke it.

Navigate in C: drive to \Users and poke it.

In \Users, is there a folder with your preferred user name? Or just a folder with the name you DON'T want? There will be other folders too... I am only interested in the folders relating to you and your login.

Let me know.

One more thing after this... Then I will know what to do...

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2023, 04:15:03 am »
@roamer_1

NOT ignoring your post or suggestions. I just have to wait until my brain has a "Non-Chemo Day" episode so I can hope to understand what to do.

Not waiting for a day like that has proven to have been a huge mistake in the past.

I will try all that as soon as I am able,and let you know how it goes.

Thank you for posting it.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2023, 05:50:47 pm »
@roamer_1

NOT ignoring your post or suggestions. I just have to wait until my brain has a "Non-Chemo Day" episode so I can hope to understand what to do.

Not waiting for a day like that has proven to have been a huge mistake in the past.

I will try all that as soon as I am able,and let you know how it goes.

Thank you for posting it.

@sneakypete

Sure, and no worries.  :beer:

In the mean time, see if you can find someone local to help. Surely there is someone... maybe at the VA... something. Even if you can find someone with a little tech sense (and without the chemo thing) that can take instruction, I can get you squared away pretty easy - if not here, then over the phone.

Standing by.  :seeya: