General Category > Economy/Business

Egg company sees 718% profit surge as prices soar

<< < (3/6) > >>

libertybele:
Buying local eggs around here is much cheaper.  They come in an open flat though and you have to buy 3 or 4 dozen at a time -- we just don't eat that many eggs .... and getting the open flat home without breaking any eggs would be tricky.  So, I've been paying the higher prices.

roamer_1:

--- Quote from: Sighlass on March 30, 2023, 07:43:07 am ---@roamer_1

I have an big old Trampoline across the street and thinking about wrapping it for a pen.... It is light enough the boy and me can move it when needed. It was something the wife wanted to try anyhoo, I ain't exactly sold on the idea, but I do like eggs.

--- End quote ---

I reckon that will do... Depends on how many chickens.

We do both tractors and coop.
Our tractors are something like 4x10 I suppose, built mostly of 2x2 sticks, with tin on about 1/3rd of the walls and 2/3rd of the top - though corrugated plastic would be lighter... 1 decent feller can move em fine... once a day through the summer... twice in the spring and fall when the grass is weaker. Something like that, for household chickens, 5 to 10 of em, say, would be plenty. You'd have to add lay boxes, maybe on the top or off the end, but plenty good enough. And cheap and easy to make out of 2x2s roofing tin and 1/2" hardware cloth.

Jussayin.

roamer_1:

--- Quote from: sneakypete on March 30, 2023, 11:37:09 am ---@Sighlass

Seems like a lot money spent and work to save 2 bucks a week on eggs. Have you stopped to consider how little  of ANYTHING 2 bucks buys  you these days?

And that is not even considering having to gather and wash the eggs every day. How much  is  your time worth?

--- End quote ---

@sneakypete

Nope and nope.

Farm fresh eggs are not the same thing as what you get from the store. So the money don't even matter. And you are forgetting the stew pot, which is the other side of raising birds... They change out about every two years, and the graduates go to freezer camp.

I have a freezer full of 4 lb chickens that are basically a secondary output of raising hens... That ain't altogether right or fair to say, because we intentionally raise meat birds too... But it remains that retired hens and hatched roosters are a part of that.

And you don't wash eggs if you can help it. They keep a long time at room temperature if you don't wash em. If they are clean, leave em be. If they are dirty you have to wash em, and then they have to go in the fridge. And you eat those first.

but if your eggs are always poopy, you ain't doing it right.

roamer_1:

--- Quote from: libertybele on March 30, 2023, 07:24:20 pm ---Buying local eggs around here is much cheaper.  They come in an open flat though and you have to buy 3 or 4 dozen at a time -- we just don't eat that many eggs .... and getting the open flat home without breaking any eggs would be tricky.  So, I've been paying the higher prices.

--- End quote ---

They come up here from the ranch 4 dozen at a time... I keep em in the fridge, but they keep fine... And I mostly only eat 2 or 3 for breakfast a day...

As for keeping em, I save cartons. So just transfer from the flat to the cartons. And then they stack in the footprint of one carton, which is nicer on critical refrigerator real estate.

libertybele:

--- Quote from: roamer_1 on March 30, 2023, 08:23:51 pm ---@sneakypete

Nope and nope.

Farm fresh eggs are not the same thing as what you get from the store. So the money don't even matter. And you are forgetting the stew pot, which is the other side of raising birds... They change out about every two years, and the graduates go to freezer camp.

I have a freezer full of 4 lb chickens that are basically a secondary output of raising hens... That ain't altogether right or fair to say, because we intentionally raise meat birds too... But it remains that retired hens and hatched roosters are a part of that.

And you don't wash eggs if you can help it. They keep a long time at room temperature if you don't wash em. If they are clean, leave em be. If they are dirty you have to wash em, and then they have to go in the fridge. And you eat those first.

but if your eggs are always poopy, you ain't doing it right.

--- End quote ---

The community tried to get the city ordinance changed so we could have chickens -- unfortunately no such luck. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version