Author Topic: Green Aviation Remains Pie-in-The-Sky Illusion…”Enormous Development Challenges”  (Read 185 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Green Aviation Remains Pie-in-The-Sky Illusion…”Enormous Development Challenges”
By P Gosselin on 24. March 2023

Share this...
The German news show Tagesschau reports that climate-neutral flying likely will remain “an illusion” for the foreseeable future.

Hat- tip: Klimanachrichten

The Tagesschau reports:

But the development challenges are still enormous. It is also unclear where the gigantic amount of renewable energy needed will come from. Just to cover the current demand for paraffin synthetically, at least three times as much solar and wind energy would be needed as was produced worldwide in 2021. Everything that is currently planned will not be enough by far, says transport expert Gössling. “We need huge amounts of fuel.” And for that, hundreds, possibly even thousands of new, large production plants are needed worldwide.”

What about hydrogen or batteries? The article says: Don’t get your hopes up.

To avoid climate-damaging emissions, battery and hydrogen aircraft are also being developed. But these can only help to a small extent, even in optimistic scenarios. Batteries are much too heavy for large aircraft, and their energy density is much lower than that of paraffin. Therefore, they will probably only be used in very small aircraft on short routes. Hydrogen is also only suitable to a limited extent. It needs much more space than paraffin and will therefore probably not be used for long distances. Airbus, for example, is currently developing possible aircraft models for medium distances. A first prototype should be developed by the end of this decade, Airbus said on request. Approval will then take several more years. At the earliest, it should go into operation in 2035.”

https://notrickszone.com/2023/03/24/green-aviation-remains-pie-in-the-sky-illusion-enormous-development-challenges/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
"Green aviation" -- the early attempters:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gN-ZktmjIfE

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Can't get a rubber band that big? ...or can't find a crew to wind it?

It'll never fly, Orville.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis