Author Topic: THAT WAS QUICK: DeSantis Donors Reportedly Recommending DeSantis Sit This One Out  (Read 7622 times)

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
I don't hate Trump.  I believe, since 2020, that he has demonstrated he is no longer fit for office.

A stable, prosperous, strong economy requires a stable government with stable leaders.

It's more risky to make long-term investment committments in America when Government policies can change with a Tweet.

Yes. I only want him to get his crap together and get his head in the game, but given what I've seen that's not gonna happen.
The Republic is lost.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
@DCPatriot  @Right_in_Virginia

Anymore I usually just read TBR without commenting. It’s evident to me no amount of facts or appeals to reason will dissuade some people from their hatred for president Trump—yes, that’s the word that fits, hatred.  And yes, you are right, DC.  I remember when some of these same people were expressing how wrong they were about Trump during his presidency because of his successes in pushing the country to the right.

I commend RiV’s fortitude for taking the slings and arrows for those of use who appreciate Trump but see no hope in the tide turning at TBR.

But, take heart, I still come to read the comments from the few Trump supporters here @sneakypete  @DCPatriot  @Right_in_Virginia and a few others who wander into the lion’s den.

@aligncare

Same here. I got tired of these weasels getting me mad with their childish whining,so I have decided to ignore them. Kudos to "Right in Virginia",but I just don't have the patience to be polite to the worse of those cheap-shot weasels, like she does.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
I realize the devotion to Trump is absolute to the point of worship, but you might someday break through that fog of adoration and try to discern between reasoned criticism and hatred.

@ScottinVA

And YOU should try to grow up and realize you are full of Biden,and that very few,if any,posters here are Trump "fan boys".

I support him because he is the only  one that has the stones to stand up to the left and their mealy-mouthed accomplices in the alleged Republican Party of today.

I am only  replying to your post because you seem to  be new here.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
I think there are a lot of very well-meaning people who were so in love with the idea of what they thought Trump was that they cannot see what he has become.

@Maj. Bill Martin

And what are the alternatives,other than just one more career pol looking for "his cut of the pie"?

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
@Maj. Bill Martin

And what are the alternatives,other than just one more career pol looking for "his cut of the pie"?

Okay, I know you're going to disagree with thispretty strongly, but I don't think most of them are just looking for a cut of the ie.  Most of them have some core beliefs that motivated them to run for office in the first place.   They generally aren't our beliefs, but they do have them.  And obviously, there are some exceptions to that who basically have become about nothing more than getting their cut of the pie. But most of them still believe in something.

But to answer your question...I can't really answer that question for you.  I was just making the general point that sometimes when we form an initial opinion of someone, we stick to that opinion even when there are facts that should lead to the revision of that opinion.

I think Trump is truly exceptional at articulating many of the legitimate grievances of a huge swath of the American people, including myself.   That earned him a ton of fans who were extremely hopeful that as the guy who best articulated, in ordinary English, what those problems were, he was the guy best equipped to fix them.

In my opinion, it just hasn't turned out that way.  I think he lacks the attention to detail and necessary understanding of the legal and governmental systems to get things done. I also think he has a personality that while extremely entertaining, rubs a lot of people the wrong way. As a result, he just can't fix the problems he is able to identify.   But I think a lot of people have put so much hope into a guy who sees things the same way they do that they can't judge his effectiveness objectively.  They can't distinguish clearly between what they want to see, and what they are actually seeing.

Alternatives?  Well, a guy like DeSantis isn't nearly as entertaining or charismatic as is Trump. He can't captivate a crowd the same way, and he can't articulate those grievances in a way that is as appealing.  However, I do believe he has shown himself to be conservative in the way he is governed his state, and has shown himself to be an excellent administrator who understands the ins and outs of the governmental and legal systems.  So to me personally, I think he has a better chance than Trump to actually make many of the changes that Trump has been talking about.

That doesn't mean he's the only guy. I'm personally still keeping my here ears open in the primaries to see what the rest of them say.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2023, 07:00:21 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Online Kamaji

Okay, I know you're going to disagree with this.pretty strongly, but I don't think most of them are just looking for a cut of the lie.  Most of them have some core beliefs that motivated them to run for office in the first place.   They generally aren't our beliefs, but they do have them.

And obviously, there are some exceptions to that who basically have become about nothing more than getting their cut of the pie. But most of them still believe in something.

But to answer your question, I can't really answer that question for you.  I was just making the general point that sometimes when we form an initial opinion of someone, we stick to that opinion even when there are facts that should lead to the revision of that opinion.

I think Trump is truly exceptional at articulating many of the legitimate grievances of a huge swath of the American people, including myself.   That earned him a ton of fans who were extremely hopeful that as the guy who best articulated, in ordinary English, what those problems were, he was the guy best equipped to fix them.

In my opinion, it just hasn't turned out that way.  I think he lacks the attention to detail and necessary understanding of the legal and governmental systems to get things done. I also think he has a personality that while extremely entertaining, rubs a lot of people the wrong way. As a result, he just can't fix the problems he is able to identify.   But I think a lot of people have put so much hope into a guy who sees things the same way they do that they can't judge his effectiveness objectively.

Alternatives?  Well, a guy like DeSantis isn't nearly as entertaining or charismatic as is Trump. He can't captivate a crowd the same way, and he can't articulate those grievances in a way that is as appealing.  However, I do believe he has shown himself to be conservative in the way he is governed his state, and has shown himself to be an excellent administrator who understands the ins and outs of the governmental and legal systems.  So to me personally, I think he has a better chance than Trump to actually make many of the changes that Trump has been talking about.

That doesn't mean he's the only guy. I'm personally still keeping my here ears open in the primaries to see what the rest of them say.

:thumbsup:

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
We don’t need to point out how we don’t hate Donald Trump, or that there were things he did in his presidency that were spot on. We have every right to critique what he did wrong during his presidency along with all this preposterous stuff he’s spewing out now

This future city nonsense and  paying people to have babies is ridiculous. It doesn’t matter who it comes from. This is “squad” type bullshit.

Everybody pointed example after  example where Trump’s city idea has resulted in failure, and his supporters still choose to remain blind. You’re never gonna convince them no matter how many examples you show them that this has failed.
You would think that the city idea would at least give them some pause.
When he can build a 'shining city' that doesn't export its garbage, its sewage, and its rules, maybe he will have something. But people who live in cities live in a different world from those in more rural areas, have no concept of what is necessary to life in the boonies, and would not recognize some of the tools that are part of everyday life here.

All too often, they maintain their illusion of cleanliness by exporting their trash and effluent, whether it is dumped into the Atlantic dead zone off New York, or spread on farm fields allegedly pathogen free, (but containing God only knows what), to be concentrated in crops and consumed later.
Even the whole notion (as in electric cars) that they are 'emission free' only relocates the dirty aspects to somewhere else that doesn't have enough people to outvote that cluster of humanity in that shining hive.

(If you can't tell, well, I have little to no use for cities). Especially in this day and age when information could be disseminated at near light speed, apart from museums (which gather the best of the best from elsewhere and concentrate it for the amusement of urbanites and to attract people from places where those items were gathered), I see little use for cities.

Unfortunately, (and I did vote for Trump in 2020) I am seeing what seem like a series of unforced errors. When you are established as a political figure, and not as an entertainment one, the old saw about there being no such thing as bad publicity no longer holds true. I expect some more wise and restrained behaviour.

Almost all of America wants America to do better, we're tired of seeing money go to things we would never donate to promote, and not having the option to say 'no'--nor, for that matter effective representation to thwart some of the egregiously destructive policies that have been emplaced.

Some good business sense would be welcome, control of the borders (still a winning issue), energy independence--which would lower energy costs and reduce the impact of inflation--(because cheaper fuel makes everything less expensive), and an end to the Greenonsense that pervades almost every aspect of our culture, from banking to vehicles.
We're aghast at the incredible proliferation of pie-in-the-sky policies that will lead to economic ruin and civil breakdown, and are already doing so.

Spending money we don't have is not an option, but we need to rebuild our military, secure the borders, and strengthen our manufacturing and resource production base. We can only foster that by getting Government out of the way, by not bailing out banks which fail because they have placed diversity over sound investment or which work contrary to the ends of making this nation stronger.

building more hotbeds of Leftist dogma (cities) sure seems like the wrong direction to me, as bad as catering to the mentally ill and fostering the corruption of our very culture.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

Even the whole notion (as in electric cars) that they are 'emission free' 

@Smokin Joe

Even people aren't "emission free".

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
@Smokin Joe

Nothing is. Not even rocks (they just take a little longer, but there's lots of them).
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
Maj. Bill Martin...
The way I look at it, Trump deserves to be opposed with the best we've got.  The thought of him waltzing to the nomination would say something kind of sick about the GOP.

Fact is, the GOP is worse than sick.  Like someone else further up the thread, I say we have a uni-party, one dedicated to establishing a globalist governance across the planet.  And I believe it is possible that Trump endorses globalism, for he sure appointed his share of globalists into key positions of his administration.

With this Alvin Bragg move, I see DeSantis not jumping in, for this act will serve as a huge motivator to unify folks behind Trump.  I say, how do you know that what Bragg is doing is not exactly what Trump wanted?  Perhaps even knowingly coordinated with the Trump camp?  Seriously.  Indicting Trump on a misdemeanor, something that had a two year statute of limitations, which has come and gone, makes no sense.   But it does make sense if it is intended to unify Republicans, and all others that would consider supporting Trump.

I welcome DeSantis because I believe he is most qualified to be our next POTUS.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2023, 03:27:06 am by jafo2010 »

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
@Smokin Joe

Anybody who ever spent time in a GP tent, or God forbid a shelter half, knows that.

@sneakypete
« Last Edit: March 31, 2023, 03:40:48 am by Maj. Bill Martin »

Online roamer_1

Anybody who ever spent time in a GP tent, or God forbid a shelter half, knows that.

@sneakypete

Well, I cannot confirm that...
But I can tell you plenty about a bunch of cowboys (and dogs) in a tiny line shack...

And fishin buddies (and dogs) in an ice fishing shack...

that'll curl your teeth...