Author Topic: Military Quietly Stops Buying Ospreys as Aircraft Faces an Uncertain Future  (Read 94 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Military Quietly Stops Buying Ospreys as Aircraft Faces an Uncertain Future

Konstantin Toropin, Thomas Novelly
Fri, March 24, 2023 at 5:07 PM EDT

New budget documents for the three military branches that fly the V-22 Osprey tilt-rotor aircraft show that none has plans to buy any additional airframes, a sign that the Pentagon isn't prioritizing growing the fleet.

While the Navy, Marine Corps and Air Force all say that they don't need any new aircraft and that the end of the buy is simply the end of the contract for the services, the news comes at a time when the Osprey is under intense scrutiny over major issues with its gearbox that have caused at least 15 incidents over the life of the aircraft. Concerns over the Osprey led to groundings and now threaten to cost millions in repairs and maintenance.

The office that oversees the Osprey program confirmed to Military.com that there are no plans for new purchases, saying that the office "will complete the MV-22 and CMV-22 programs of record, with deliveries through 2025."

https://news.yahoo.com/military-quietly-stops-buying-ospreys-210728960.html
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
A year ago it was the wave of the future!  It must not have been woke enough for the military. :whistle:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson