Author Topic: German Govt In Crisis For Opposing EU Ban On Combustion Engines  (Read 119 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
WRITTEN BY PHILIP OLTERMANN ON MAR 24, 2023. POSTED IN LATEST NEWS

German Govt In Crisis For Opposing EU Ban On Combustion Engines

A clash over climate protection measures is threatening to unravel Germany’s three-party governing alliance after the Green party accused its liberal coalition partners of gambling away the country’s reputation by blocking an EU-wide phase-out of internal combustion engines in cars.

“You can’t have a coalition of progress where only one party is in charge of progress and the others try to stop the progress,” the country’s vice-chancellor and economy minister, Robert Habeck, said at a meeting of the Green party’s parliamentary group in Weimar on Tuesday. [emphasis, links added]

The pro-business Free Democratic party’s (FDP) last-minute opposition to EU plans to ban sales of new cars with internal combustion engines from 2035, which European leaders are hoping to resolve at a summit in Brussels on Thursday and Friday, had damaged Germany’s standing in the bloc, Habeck said.

“We are losing debates, we are getting too little support for our projects.”

https://climatechangedispatch.com/german-govt-in-crisis-for-opposing-eu-ban-on-combustion-engines/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson