Author Topic: House panel to focus not on Mexico border -- but rising immigration at sea  (Read 105 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
House panel to focus not on Mexico border -- but rising immigration at sea
A record level of crossings to Florida fuels safety and security concerns.

ByQuinn Owen
March 23, 2023, 12:38 PM

ABC News' Devin Dwyer reports on DACA recipients self-deporting themselves out of t...Read More
The fraught politics of immigration have largely focused on the land border between the U.S. and Mexico, but on Thursday afternoon a panel of lawmakers will turn to Florida's maritime border and what government data shows is a sharply rising wave of migration from the Caribbean.

The House Homeland Security Subcommittee on Transportation and Maritime Security is hearing from U.S. Customs and Border Protection as well as U.S. Coast Guard officials to learn about resource and policy needs to better secure the Florida coast.

Republican lawmakers are expected to press the officials on ways the Biden administration could strengthen policy and deter migrants. Democrats are likely to point to recent declines in migrants from certain countries recently included in the dual-track strategy of the administration cracking down on unlawful claims while opening narrow avenues for relief.

But conservatives aren't swayed.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/house-panel-focus-mexico-border-rising-immigration-sea/story?id=98049326
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson