Author Topic: The Return of Michael Cohen: A Disbarred Attorney Takes Center Stage in a Dubious Prosecution  (Read 160 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
The Return of Michael Cohen: A Disbarred Attorney Takes Center Stage in a Dubious Prosecution

Below is my column in USA Today on the expected indictment of former President Donald Trump and the prospect of Manhattan District Attorney Alvin Bragg putting Michael Cohen on the stand as his star witness. Yesterday, I wrote about the early skirmish between Cohen and his former counsel. That is only a taste of what is to come in the target rich environment of a Cohen cross examination.

Here is the column:

If former President Donald Trump is indicted, Manhattan District Attorney Alvin Bragg would be prosecuting a case that has been widely criticized as long on politics and short on the law.

The courts would have to address a controversial case in which a city prosecutor attempts to prove a federal crime long ago declined by the U.S. Department of Justice. They also would have to deal with a charge brought seven years after the alleged offense, despite a two-year statute of limitations for the underlying misdemeanors (or a five-year period for a felony).

https://jonathanturley.org/2023/03/22/the-return-of-michael-cohen-a-disbarred-attorney-takes-center-stage-in-a-dubious-prosecution/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson