Author Topic: Moody’s Chief Economist: ‘Inflation Is Still High’ So Problems Like Banking Issues Will Continue for  (Read 527 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Moody’s Chief Economist: 'Inflation Is Still High' So Problems Like Banking Issues Will Continue for 'Next 12-18 Months'
Ian Hanchett

During an interview with CBS News on Tuesday, Moody’s Analytics Chief Economist Mark Zandi stated that the problems in the banking industry are the inevitable result of rate hikes by the Federal Reserve where “things are going to start to wobble and break and it’s going to feel uncomfortable.” And because inflation is “still high” “the next 12-18 months are going to be uncomfortable.”

Host John Dickerson asked, “It seems weird to go back to something Powell said before all of this banking stuff, but recently, in his testimony in the Senate, Chairman Powell talked about how things were going to get bumpy after the Fed made its moves. What does bumpy mean to you and is what we’ve seen in the banking industry, is that essentially what bumpy looks like?”

Zandi responded, “That’s what bumpy looks like. … When you raise interest rates and you raise them as fast as the Fed has and as high as they have over the past year, things are going to start to wobble and break and it’s going to feel uncomfortable. And this, what we saw in the banking system over the last eight to ten days is exactly what he was talking about. It’s going to get bumpy. And I don’t think it’s over. Inflation is still high. The Fed’s still got to get inflation back in. And so, the next 12-18 months are going to be uncomfortable.”

Zandi also stated, “[T]he banking system is fragile. Everybody knows it. We had deposit runs. I don’t think it’s any surprise that the banking system is under pressure. So, let’s fess up to it and let’s make sure that the system is on solid ground. I think it is. I think what the FDIC and the Treasury and the Federal Reserve have done is adequate, but let’s just make sure.”

https://www.breitbart.com/clips/2023/03/22/moodys-chief-economist-inflation-is-still-high-so-problems-like-banking-issues-will-continue-for-next-12-18-months/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
BS. The Fed signaled rate increases long before they happened. Banks just didn't adjust their portfolios properly to handle it.
The Republic is lost.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
BS. The Fed signaled rate increases long before they happened. Banks just didn't adjust their portfolios properly to handle it.

The Jerome Powell traveling clown car show is up right now.  25 bps hike. No shocker....  at least this quarter, and a function of the fact that any signaling of a pause or a drop would be indicative of a banking or perception of banking issues.

Poor pedo Joe.....   Looks like some persistent inflation growth going deep into 2023.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
Did I hear right?

Did Powell just say he expect 5.3% YE Fed Fund rates?

How does he explain and balance that with one more bump?   :pondering:

I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
Did I hear right?

Did Powell just say he expect 5.3% YE Fed Fund rates?

How does he explain and balance that with one more bump?   :pondering:

Close to that it looks like:

Fed Hikes Interest Rates Another 25 Basis Points—But Suggests The End Is Near

It’s the first time in months the central bank didn’t say it expected further hikes “will be appropriate,” but the Fed’s projections for the year-end federal funds rate stayed firm at 5.1%, indicating another rate hike over the next nine months remains the most-likely scenario.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/dereksaul/2023/03/22/fed-hikes-rates-another-25-basis-points-but-indicates-that-could-be-the-end-of-rate-hikes/?sh=1179e1e53b20
The Republic is lost.

Online catfish1957

Powell BS answer on Treasury's response to SVB, rationalizing it as containing the risk of contagion.    Nothing like limiting the QE like bailing out to CA lefties who contribute to the dims.   9999hair out0000

I am sure our local credit unions here in middle America would get the same treatment.  /s

Online catfish1957

lol... What a Kamala like response to the issue of covered depositors, aka depositer safety post SVB

Keep squirming you son of a bitch.

Online catfish1957

Wow...

Those last 15 minutes of that press conference are some of the most extraordinary I have ever seen from the Fed.

His stuttering and hem hawing over some of those SVB questions were amazing.  No wonder some of the mid cap bank ETFs are down 5+%

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
Wow...

Those last 15 minutes of that press conference are some of the most extraordinary I have ever seen from the Fed.

His stuttering and hem hawing over some of those SVB questions were amazing.  No wonder some of the mid cap bank ETFs are down 5+%

The market was doing well for a bit after the rate hike, figured they would take the smaller increase well psychologically. Then the last 45 minutes it just completely floored and they were pouring the volume to it.

Don't know if it was the weak testimony or not, but it really seems like the perception has shifted on a dime. There might be follow thru on the downside for awhile, I don't know. Convinced the FedGov is propping the market up so I expect them to blunt any selling till they can't anymore.

The Republic is lost.

Online catfish1957

The market was doing well for a bit after the rate hike, figured they would take the smaller increase well psychologically. Then the last 45 minutes it just completely floored and they were pouring the volume to it.

Don't know if it was the weak testimony or not, but it really seems like the perception has shifted on a dime. There might be follow thru on the downside for awhile, I don't know. Convinced the FedGov is propping the market up so I expect them to blunt any selling till they can't anymore.

Powell's body language said it all.  That was all the perception bending sentiment that was needed.  He bombed all the SVB questions.