Author Topic: Twitter's Elon Musk predicts Trump will win re-election in 'landslide victory' if arrested  (Read 4970 times)

Offline roamer_1

Well... define populism then. Seems to have different meanings to different people.

This will do as a working definition..:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Populism

Its aims are not the point. In its DNA it is nothing more than a strain of popularism - either by the ascent of a popular figure (always without the chops) as a messiah, or by centering around popular themes of the day as the will of the people, ALWAYS requiring profound principle to be sacrificed in order to save the day today. Or BOTH.

Tumpy's movement is no different than any other, demanding the sacrifice of fiscal coservatism and libertarianism on the altar of saving America with big government... When in truth, at the root, the only thing that WILL save America are those very things they summarily destroy.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2023, 03:42:58 pm by roamer_1 »

Online LMAO

While we debate big government populism versus fiscal conservatism, the situation we are facing right now is a debt to GDP ratio well above 100%. We also have inflation that is way too high and wiping out people’s savings and standard of living. Add a soft economy, and the banks aren’t looking too good along with the looming insolvency facing Social Security and Medicare. So this debate is not in the abstract or a concern at some future time

And I think I’m safe in predicting these issues will be more problematic by 2024. No doubt the Biden administration will use budget gimmicks to hide them.

I prefer math
« Last Edit: March 20, 2023, 04:47:39 pm by LMAO »
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Kamaji

While we debate big government populism versus fiscal conservatism, the situation we are facing right now is a debt to GDP ratio well above 100%. We also have inflation that is way too high and wiping out people’s savings and standard of living. Add a soft economy, and the banks aren’t looking too good along with the looming insolvency facing Social Security and Medicare. So this debate is not in the abstract or a concern at some future time

And I think I’m safe in predicting these issues will be more problematic by 2024. No doubt the Biden administration will use budget gimmicks to hide them.

I prefer math

:thumbsup:

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
:shrug:

Ok, but he could bring in people who are policy-based conservatives. Did he do that last time? Well, partially, but as we all know he made some really bad choices especially in terms of his DOJ and such.

Is it realistic to expect a staunch conservative to win in today's climate? If they can't win the primary how will they win in the general?

Obviously, you're not going to turn this country into a laissez-faire capitalist utopia overnight.  But I don't think asking for someone who doesn't openly mock/attack conservative ideas on entitlements is demanding too much.

Offline roamer_1

Obviously, you're not going to turn this country into a laissez-faire capitalist utopia overnight.  But I don't think asking for someone who doesn't openly mock/attack conservative ideas on entitlements is demanding too much.

First, do no harm.  :beer:

Online LMAO

He's not a conservative.  He just isn't.  He's a populist, and maybe there are a lot of folks who would prefer a populist to a conservative, and that's obviously their prerogative.  But for those of us who are policy-based conservatives, he's just not that guy.

Yup

Maybe we can clone Calvin Coolidge for 2028. We’re gonna need him.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2023, 11:37:22 pm by LMAO »
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
I had always thought conservatism had a major populist streak anyway, with railing against "liberal elites".

I'm not sure how any "ism" gains any traction without some populism.

Offline roamer_1

I had always thought conservatism had a major populist streak anyway, with railing against "liberal elites".

I'm not sure how any "ism" gains any traction without some populism.

Principles, not politics.

Sure there is some - Reagan as the father of the modern movement... Goldwater...
Cruz was a shining boy... But ALL of that is based on merit. Not popularity.

Which is as it ought to be. Walk the line and you will be a famous Conservative.
Because they are so few and far between.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
    DeSantis should expedite him to NY.  Trump's past or present BS is not his problem. 
    He paid into that society for decades, political and otherwise. 
    'Throw him back to the fishes' as somewhat of a @Gefn analogy.

No apologies ever needed @corbe. Just send me kitten photos
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️