Author Topic: Washington Post: We Must Change the Meaning of Wealth to Appreciate Climate Action  (Read 272 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Washington Post: We Must Change the Meaning of Wealth to Appreciate Climate Action
18 hours ago Eric Worrall 94 Comments
Essay by Eric Worrall

h/t ethical voter, David Pentland; “… What if we imagined “wealth” consisting not of the money we stuff into banks or the fossil fuel-derived goods we pile up, but of joy, beauty, friendship, community, closeness … “

Opinion  What if climate change meant not doom — but abundance?

By Rebecca Solnit
March 15, 2023 at 6:00 a.m. EDT

Rebecca Solnit, a writer and historian, is the author of more than 20 books and co-editor of the anthology “Not Too Late: Changing the Climate Story From Despair to Possibility,” publishing in April.

A monastic once told me renunciation can be great if it means giving up things that make you miserable.

This vision, I think, is what has been missing when we talk about the climate crisis — and how we should respond to it.

Much of the reluctance to do what climate change requires comes from the assumption that it means trading abundance for austerity, and trading all our stuff and conveniences for less stuff, less convenience. But what if it meant giving up things we’re well rid of, from deadly emissions to nagging feelings of doom and complicity in destruction? What if the austerity is how we live now — and the abundance could be what is to come?

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2023/03/16/washington-post-we-must-change-the-meaning-of-wealth-to-appreciate-climate-action/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
“… What if we imagined “wealth” consisting not of the money we stuff into banks or the fossil fuel-derived goods we pile up, but of joy, beauty, friendship, community, closeness … “

You will own nothing and be happy...

Online LMAO

There's so many quotes from George Orwell's 1984 that are applicable here
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
How about turning this whole thing on its head. I went to a wedding today, beautiful day (sun shining, no wind), and watched kids playing outside in t-shirts and slacks, and in sleeveless dresses.

(outside temperature +13).

You see, all the people howling about the fear of the planet overheating live at some far more tropical latitude than I do, and in terms of degrees to the poles, I'm just a little over halfway there (48th parallel).

Which means there is a buttload of land north of me that will be considerable more suitable for human habitation, with tens of thousands of lakes, timber on some of it, outrageous unoccupied green space, provided the climate gets just a tish warmer. For people who don't like the heat, do what people here who can't seem to adapt to cold do. MOVE!

After all,
Much of the reluctance to do what climate change requires comes from the assumption that it means trading abundance for austerity, and trading all our stuff and conveniences for less stuff, less convenience.

It's nice to come in and get warm, but the people who live where it's "too hot" want us to live on a colder planet, when all they'd have to do is move to a colder clime.
There is no Right to haunt the beach with your junk in a cheesecloth sack.
If you're too hot, put on some shorts and move north. The planet will be just fine.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis