Author Topic: (READ) Republicans announce probe into Dept. of Defense after it fails audit for 5th consecutive yr  (Read 137 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
(READ) Republicans announce probe into Dept. of Defense after it fails audit for 5th consecutive yr
DATED: MARCH 15, 2023 BY SHARYL ATTKISSON

Republicans are probing why the Pentagon has failed its fifth consecutive audit designed to prevent waste, fraud and abuse of taxpayer dollars.

In a letter sent to Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin, Oversight and Accountability (GAO)Chairman James Comer (R-Kentucky) along with Subcommittee Chairman Pete Sessions (R-Texas) requested a staff-level briefing to acquire additional information on the Defense Dept.'s (DOD) failed audit, financial management practices generally, and what it is doing to implement outstanding recommendations for improvement.

In November 2022, DOD failed its fifth consecutive audit, unable to account for sixty-one percent of its $3.5 trillion in assets. The U.S. Government Accountability Office (GAO) also recently reported that DOD continues to fail to accurately account for hundreds of billions of dollars of government furnished property in the hands of contractors. DOD’s inability to adequately track assets risks our military readiness and represents a flagrant disregard for taxpayer funds, even as it receives nearly a trillion dollars annually.

https://sharylattkisson.com/2023/03/read-republicans-announce-probe-into-dept-of-defense-after-it-fails-audit-for-5th-consecutive-yr/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson