Author Topic: WHAT MAKES THE CHAIN GUN SPECIAL?  (Read 124 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
WHAT MAKES THE CHAIN GUN SPECIAL?
« on: March 14, 2023, 02:01:40 pm »
WHAT MAKES THE CHAIN GUN SPECIAL?
Travis Pike | March 10, 2023

I was first introduced to the term chain gun by Doom. The chain gun in Doom was a powerful, hard-hitting machine gun that ate ammo like I eat pizza bagels.

These guns are also called autocannons and are in the same family of weapons as the minigun. The lightest autocannon is an atypical experimental British 7.62x51mm gun that weighs 39 pounds. Typically, these guns weigh anywhere from 76 to 437 pounds. They are massive weapons intended to be used on vehicles, both ground and aerial.

What’s a chain gun
A chain gun or autocannon is a weapon that uses a chain driven by an electric motor to cycle the weapon. Typically the chain moves around a rectangular circuit with sprockets to apply tension. The links of the chains control the weapon’s extraction, loading, bolt movement, and how long the bolt remains closed between shots. The gun only depends on this electrically-driven chain to operate. The motor can be anywhere from one horsepower to five horsepower for the larger guns.

https://www.sandboxx.us/blog/what-makes-the-chain-gun-special/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson