Author Topic: Bank of England Will Cut Spending for its Work on Climate Change  (Read 137 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Bank of England Will Cut Spending for its Work on Climate Change
Cost pressures prompt central bank to focus on core areas
Shift marks break from ex-governor Mark Carney’s era
ByEllen Milligan and Philip Aldrick
March 10, 2023 at 12:00 AM EST

The Bank of England plans to cut spending on climate change work and redirect the money to core functions because of rising pressures on its costs.

Climate programs will slip lower on the central bank’s agenda so officials can focus more on the core operations such as financial stability, markets and a digital currency, according to a person with knowledge of the situation who asked not to be named. The BOE’s climate work currently focuses on building ESG disclosure guidelines, preparing insurers for risks from rising global temperatures and getting banks to carbon-test their balance sheets.

The move marks a sharp break from the emphasis Mark Carney put on climate during his term as BOE governor from 2013 to 2020. It reflects calls by politicians for the current Governor Andrew Bailey to focus on controlling inflation and identifying potential threats to financial markets.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-03-10/bank-of-england-will-cut-spending-for-its-work-on-climate-change?leadSource=uverify%20wall&mc_cid=8369331b9e&mc_eid=0b1369f9f8
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson