Author Topic: Baseball 2023  (Read 36538 times)

Offline corbe

Re: Baseball 2023
« Reply #275 on: October 21, 2023, 01:21:07 am »
   Reminds me of another Texas playoff, for the Western Division NBA back in 94/95 season where nobody was home~ Rockets/Spurs. Okeem finally won it at home for us over rookie MVP David Robinson.  We went on to beat Shaq/Heat for the final, If I recall correctly.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline AllThatJazzZ

• Adopt your next pet, preferably a senior.
« Reply #276 on: October 21, 2023, 02:42:47 am »
I literally love Jose Altuve.

Next stop, Minute Maid Park. We don't tend to do too well at home, so we need some 'Tuve haters to show up to boo him. How about you, @DCPatriot?

A government big enough to give you everything you want
is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #277 on: October 21, 2023, 02:54:03 am »
Altuve sems more determined and locked in when fans boo him.

I hope the other 29 team's fan bases continue that practice.  Works out well for us.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline AllThatJazzZ

« Reply #278 on: October 21, 2023, 03:12:25 am »
Altuve sems more determined and locked in when fans boo him.

I hope the other 29 team's fan bases continue that practice.  Works out well for us.

I was just telling a friend how delicious it is when the ballparks go quiet when Altuve goes yard. I've been known to rewind and savor the moment again.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #279 on: October 21, 2023, 03:16:04 am »
Love it when Kimbrell and his silly pitching routine gets rocked. 

AZ/PHI. 5-5 in the bottom of the 8th.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #280 on: October 21, 2023, 03:18:12 am »
Another Rangers "Choketober"

I do feel sorry for Bochy though.  He is 10X the manager that Crusty Baker is

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #281 on: October 21, 2023, 03:54:21 am »
I literally love Jose Altuve.

Next stop, Minute Maid Park. We don't tend to do too well at home, so we need some 'Tuve haters to show up to boo him. How about you, @DCPatriot?

@AllThatJazzZ

Nah!  Tip my hat to him.

Can Max Scherzer 'find' his SLIDER?  Because without it...future looks bleak for them.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #282 on: October 21, 2023, 04:16:56 am »
@catfish1957  @Polly Ticks  @AllThatJazzZ @Elderberry  @Jack Russell @dfwgator

Did anyone else find the Diamondbacks' strategy of using EIGHT pitchers fascinating?

I'd never seen that before...and I watched Willie Mays' over-the-shoulder catch in centerfield in 1954 'live' on a 13 inch Admiral B&W television.   :laugh:

Suppose it was to insure the Phillies' lineup never saw the same "stuff" twice...let alone thrice!

Arizona 6  Philadelphia 5   Series tied 2 apiece.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #283 on: October 21, 2023, 01:21:26 pm »
@catfish1957  @Polly Ticks  @AllThatJazzZ @Elderberry  @Jack Russell @dfwgator

Did anyone else find the Diamondbacks' strategy of using EIGHT pitchers fascinating?

@DCPatriot

That was cool.  And this phenomenon is growing in MLB.  Seems the system of "starters", especially in the post season has whittled down to just "competitive starters".   I believe the Rangers will be trying something near this if this thing gets to Game 7 in Houston.  Which is a good chance, since the 'Stros historically struggle against Evoldi.

Not exactly recent history, but one of my favorite examples of this was back in '03 when the Astros no-hit the Yankees with 6 pitchers.  And wow did it bring back memories, where at least that moment in time the Astros had one of the greatest back three tandem in the pen with Dotel-Lidge-Wagner.

And I agree with the once-twice-thrice theor.  I'd guess in 90% of arms, that the averages (ba, slug, ops, etc.) increase with each round of the lineup.  If this game truly is into analytics, I am surprised MLB pitching hasn't turned into more of a staff of no one going more than 3

« Last Edit: October 21, 2023, 01:24:22 pm by catfish1957 »

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #284 on: October 21, 2023, 01:24:24 pm »
@DCPatriot

That was cool.  And this phenomenon is growing in MLB.  Seems the system of "starters", especially in the post season has whittled down to just "competitive starters".   I believe the Rangers will be trying something near this if this thing gets to Game 7 in Houston.  Which is a good chance, since the 'Stros historically struggle against Evoldi.

Not exactly recent history, but one of my favorite examples of this was back in '03 when the Astros no-hit the Yankees with 6 pitchers.  And wow did it bring back memories, where at least that moment in time the Astros had one of the greatest back three tandem in the pen with Dotel-Lidge-Wagner.

@catfish1957

:beer:

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #285 on: October 21, 2023, 01:28:40 pm »
@AllThatJazzZ

Nah!  Tip my hat to him.

Can Max Scherzer 'find' his SLIDER?  Because without it...future looks bleak for them.

We've seen first hand what Scherzer can do in the WS, and it wasn't fun for us.  One thing I am enjoying now days, is watching the body language and facial expressions of pitchers.  Some have ice cold water flowing through their veins, but others?......

And one thing I saw the other night with Scherzer was  that steel eyed scrowl was missing, and you could tell in his eyes, he didn't have his best stuff that night.   I think his career, and great one it is, might be winding down.  Man's too much of a competitior to be a middle inning relief mop up guy.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #286 on: October 21, 2023, 01:35:32 pm »
@AllThatJazzZ

Nah!  Tip my hat to him.

The Astros have Framber and Christian Javier on deck. I like the odds whatever the Rangers decide to throw at them.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #287 on: October 21, 2023, 01:36:25 pm »
We've seen first hand what Scherzer can do in the WS, and it wasn't fun for us.  One thing I am enjoying now days, is watching the body language and facial expressions of pitchers.  Some have ice cold water flowing through their veins, but others?......

And one thing I saw the other night with Scherzer was  that steel eyed scrowl was missing, and you could tell in his eyes, he didn't have his best stuff that night.   I think his career, and great one it is, might be winding down.  Man's too much of a competitior to be a middle inning relief mop up guy.

Yeah...he's a bit "kinky".

On his starting days, he wears his complete uniform in the pen...and nobody had better try to speak to him.

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #288 on: October 21, 2023, 01:37:37 pm »
The Astros have Framber and Christian Javier on deck. I like the odds whatever the Rangers decide to throw at them.

Forgot to ping you @Bigun

...you've been 'absent' too long!   happy77

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #289 on: October 21, 2023, 01:43:03 pm »

Forgot to ping you @Bigun

...you've been 'absent' too long!   happy77

Not absent! Just nothing much baseball related to say these days @DCPatriot I absolutely HATE what they have done to a game I once loved!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #290 on: October 21, 2023, 01:47:55 pm »
Not absent! Just nothing much baseball related to say these days @DCPatriot I absolutely HATE what they have done to a game I once loved!

Same here.  I find myself yelling like a crazy old man at the TV,  when the woke shit starts.  And wokeness.....there is a plethora of it in MLB, and their marketing arm.   I just try to tune it out the best I can.

Which is why I pretty much why I watch regular season baseball at the 40000 foot level.  In fact the first game I watched this year was Game one of the ALDS.   If this sport wants me back full time, lose the pandering to minorities.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #291 on: October 21, 2023, 02:18:58 pm »
Same here.  I find myself yelling like a crazy old man at the TV,  when the woke shit starts.  And wokeness.....there is a plethora of it in MLB, and their marketing arm.   I just try to tune it out the best I can.

Which is why I pretty much why I watch regular season baseball at the 40000 foot level.  In fact the first game I watched this year was Game one of the ALDS.   If this sport wants me back full time, lose the pandering to minorities.

The first professional baseball I saw this year was Twins vs Astros. If you are at the 40,000 ft level, I'm at 50 or above.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #292 on: October 21, 2023, 02:22:45 pm »
The first professional baseball I saw this year was Twins vs Astros. If you are at the 40,000 ft level, I'm at 50 or above.

Yep, games 1-162, I just pretty much read the game recaps, and box score.  Far cry from my childhood, when my summer calendar pretty much revolved around baseball on the radio
« Last Edit: October 21, 2023, 02:23:40 pm by catfish1957 »

Offline LadyLiberty

« Reply #293 on: October 21, 2023, 02:53:51 pm »
While all the praise is being heaped up on Altuve for the three run homer, he is humble and gives the  credit to Diaz and Singleton for getting on base first: 

https://twitter.com/MarkBerman_/status/1715535529083572608

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #294 on: October 21, 2023, 03:02:38 pm »
I think it is a crying shame what happened in '17, but I am enough of a fan and student of the game, to know and realize that back prior to 2017, it is likely 2/3-3/4 of all MLB teams were into high tech, and suspect sign stealing in the day.  The Astros got caught, which is a shame too, because back in 2017, they had enough horses to win it all without cheating.  This is all  evidenced of their success since too, so I have to embarass anyone who claims this is a team that had to cheat to win it all. 

Altuve is a good hearted, great player, who outside this blemish, is one of the most well rounded, must-tooled players of my lifetime.  And a winning personality that is just contagious.  I am guessing the '17 event might prevent him from the HOF, but when and if the truth comes out, I think you will find a major chunk of players prior to 2018 were just as guilty, but didn't get caught.

Offline corbe

« Reply #295 on: October 21, 2023, 03:09:54 pm »
   I wholeheartedly agree with that assessment @catfish1957  Most of them were cheating with the placement of Hi Tech cameras.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #296 on: October 21, 2023, 03:26:13 pm »
I think it is a crying shame what happened in '17, but I am enough of a fan and student of the game, to know and realize that back prior to 2017, it is likely 2/3-3/4 of all MLB teams were into high tech, and suspect sign stealing in the day.  The Astros got caught, which is a shame too, because back in 2017, they had enough horses to win it all without cheating.  This is all  evidenced of their success since too, so I have to embarass anyone who claims this is a team that had to cheat to win it all. 

Altuve is a good hearted, great player, who outside this blemish, is one of the most well rounded, must-tooled players of my lifetime.  And a winning personality that is just contagious.  I am guessing the '17 event might prevent him from the HOF, but when and if the truth comes out, I think you will find a major chunk of players prior to 2018 were just as guilty, but didn't get caught.

The ASTROS "got caught" because they were a team from flyover country who had the audacity to knock off teams to which titles rightfully belonged (to hear them tell it) and THAT simply couldn't be allowed!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #297 on: October 21, 2023, 03:42:34 pm »
The ASTROS "got caught" because they were a team from flyover country who had the audacity to knock off teams to which titles rightfully belonged (to hear them tell it) and THAT simply couldn't be allowed!

And still we have made it to 7 straight ALCS.  If that's not a big enough middle finger to the BoSox, NYY, Dodgers, COB office, and MLB media clowns, I don't know what is.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #298 on: October 21, 2023, 09:39:24 pm »
Any team using Creed as their inspiration has to be the silliest damn outfit I have ever seen.

Sloppy crappy corporate rock at its worst.

Offline AllThatJazzZ

« Reply #299 on: October 22, 2023, 03:18:00 am »