Author Topic: Baseball 2023  (Read 36537 times)

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Re: Baseball 2023
« Reply #200 on: September 29, 2023, 10:48:12 pm »

Pffffffff!!!!!!   Every team has an ass hole, and if I remember right one of your teams in your own bandgwaggonig ways was Bryce Harper. 

Not many more of a jerk in MLB than that SOB.

Don't let your Astros hate get to you.

I don't "hate" the Astros.  Just don't respect them.  They cheated!

They're very dangerous in the postseason, however.

So long as they give Jose Altuve an anal exam before each AB to check for buzzers...  :whistle:    :laugh:

OH...and Angel Hernandez needs a punch in the mouth. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKxN0m1fxX8
« Last Edit: September 29, 2023, 10:49:32 pm by DCPatriot »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline LadyLiberty

« Reply #201 on: September 29, 2023, 11:48:17 pm »

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #202 on: September 30, 2023, 07:28:30 pm »
Ridiculous...

On the penultimate day of the regular season, MLB is televising the Guardians vs. Tigers   :smokin:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #203 on: September 30, 2023, 08:30:44 pm »
Want to hear a crazy scenario, that is not out of the realm of possibility?

M's sweep the Rangers, and the Astros split the last 2 with D Backs. 

3 Way tie for division championship.  And based on MLB tiebreaking rules........

M's win the division among the 3 by having the best winning percentage among games played among the 3.

Astros secure No. 3 WC spot by having a better record against the Rangers., and the Rangers are bumped and stay home in October.
Wow, 3 teams with the same record as divison co-champs, with Mariners securing the bye, the Astros get last WC spot, and Rangers bounced. 

It even gets more complicated if the Jays fold and we have a 4 way tie.

https://www.mlb.com/news/2023-mlb-postseason-three-team-and-four-team-tiebreaker-scenarios
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #204 on: September 30, 2023, 08:53:38 pm »
Want to hear a crazy scenario, that is not out of the realm of possibility?

M's sweep the Rangers, and the Astros split the last 2 with D Backs. 

3 Way tie for division championship.  And based on MLB tiebreaking rules........

M's win the division among the 3 by having the best winning percentage among games played among the 3.

Astros secure No. 3 WC spot by having a better record against the Rangers., and the Rangers are bumped and stay home in October.
Wow, 3 teams with the same record as divison co-champs, with Mariners securing the bye, the Astros get last WC spot, and Rangers bounced. 

It even gets more complicated if the Jays fold and we have a 4 way tie.

https://www.mlb.com/news/2023-mlb-postseason-three-team-and-four-team-tiebreaker-scenarios

Good stuff!  Thanks!  :beer:

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #205 on: September 30, 2023, 09:03:23 pm »
Good stuff!  Thanks!  :beer:

:beer:

Not 100% sure yet, but I am pretty sure this would  first time ever that a division winner, didn't  make the post season. 

One thing we are watching too, is how much advantage having WC Spot 3 ,is  than 2.  Much rather start the WC round against the Twinkies than the Devil Rays.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline AllThatJazzZ

• Adopt your next pet, preferably a senior.
« Reply #206 on: October 02, 2023, 01:28:54 am »

One thing we are watching too, is how much advantage having WC Spot 3 ,is  than 2.  Much rather start the WC round against the Twinkies than the Devil Rays.

Or maybe you just skip the WC altogether and take the division.  :shrug: :whistle:  888high58888

It's a happy day here on the Texas Gulf Coast. A little less happy in North Texas. And just when you thought you'd had all the good news you could stand, we have a cold front coming toward us!

Ah, how sweet it is to be an Astros fan -- even though I think they aged me a little this year.

A government big enough to give you everything you want
is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #207 on: October 02, 2023, 11:36:13 am »
Or maybe you just skip the WC altogether and take the division.  :shrug: :whistle:  888high58888

It's a happy day here on the Texas Gulf Coast. A little less happy in North Texas. And just when you thought you'd had all the good news you could stand, we have a cold front coming toward us!

Ah, how sweet it is to be an Astros fan -- even though I think they aged me a little this year.

I do have to admit, I wasn't expecting this.  Now the next question is how the Ranger's collapse is going to wear on them trying to beat a very good DRays team in a best of 3 on the road.  Morale can't be good.

:beer:

And BTW,,,  here's to 7 consecutive trips to the post season.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2023, 11:37:03 am by catfish1957 »

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #208 on: October 03, 2023, 01:56:19 am »
My uneducated Pennant predictions:

Braves v. Toronto
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #209 on: October 03, 2023, 02:18:01 am »
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #210 on: October 03, 2023, 02:55:18 am »

That Rangers celebration on Saturday night was ridiculous.   Big difference between getting a first-round bye and having to go to Tampa.   

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #211 on: October 03, 2023, 03:05:15 pm »
Remember pitcher Trevor Bauer being booted from baseball because of that woman's accusations?

Turns out the entire thing was a set-up by her right from the start.  Text messages to/from her friends before it all happened about how she was going to target him for his money, claim that she was into getting choked to blackmail him, etc..  He was able to release it all today because the lawsuits finally ended.  Jaw-dropping stuff.

https://x.com/BauerOutage/status/1708904525724270659?s=20

"Believe all women."

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #212 on: October 03, 2023, 03:10:50 pm »
Remember pitcher Trevor Bauer being booted from baseball because of that woman's accusations?

Turns out the entire thing was a set-up by her right from the start.  Text messages to/from her friends before it all happened about how she was going to target him for his money, claim that she was into getting choked to blackmail him, etc..  He was able to release it all today because the lawsuits finally ended.  Jaw-dropping stuff.

"Believe all women."

Will she go to jail for it?

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #213 on: October 03, 2023, 03:14:03 pm »
Will she go to jail for it?

Don't know.  Story just broke so all the legal stuff hasn't been fleshed out yet.

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #214 on: October 03, 2023, 03:18:56 pm »

"Believe all women."

Wow.  That's pretty horrifying. 
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #215 on: October 03, 2023, 07:53:17 pm »
Terry Francona is hanging up the managerial hat.

LOL!  I remember him as a player...he was notorious for going thru a routine after each and every pitch...gloves, helmet, digging up dirt in the box, etc..

One game Rick Dempsey, the Orioles catcher got so frustrated that when he threw the ball back to the mound after a pitch, he purposefully hit Francona SMACK on the side of this helmet.   happy77

There was another former Indians' manager famous for that same thing.  Mike Hargrove, "The Human Rain Delay".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tGm_JajqLo&t=6s

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #216 on: October 03, 2023, 08:02:09 pm »
There was another former Indians' manager famous for that same thing.  Mike Hargrove, "The Human Rain Delay".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tGm_JajqLo&t=6s

@Maj. Bill Martin   :beer:

OMG!  Senior moment here.

It was Hargrove, who Rick Dempsey plunked...not Francona!   

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #217 on: October 03, 2023, 08:16:14 pm »
Post Season is offically underway!!!!!

Arlington Rangers  1 Tampa Bay D Rays  0 Top of the 5th....

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #218 on: October 04, 2023, 02:13:03 am »
@Maj. Bill Martin   :beer:

OMG!  Senior moment here.

It was Hargrove, who Rick Dempsey plunked...not Francona!

Long-time Indians (not Guardians) fan, I remember watching Grover do that all the time.  Used to drive my old man nuts!

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #219 on: October 04, 2023, 02:19:32 am »
AL WC

Arlington Rangers 4  TB D Rays 0. (Rangers up 1-0)
Minnesota Twins 3  Tor Blue Jays 1 (Twins up 1-0)

NL WC

Arizona 4 Milwaukee 3   Bottom of the 8th
Philadelphia 3 Milwaukee 1    Bottom of the 7th

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #220 on: October 04, 2023, 07:41:30 pm »
Yesterday's WC game at TB apparently had he smallest post season crowd in over 100 years.....   19,704. Last time it was smaller?  Game 7 of the 1919 Series (Black Sox Series)

Pathetic.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/2023-mlb-playoffs-rays-see-historically-low-attendance-for-game-1-of-al-wild-card-series-vs-rangers/

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #221 on: October 04, 2023, 07:43:56 pm »
Yesterday's WC game at TB apparently had he smallest post season crowd in over 100 years.....   19,704. Last time it was smaller?  Game 7 of the 1919 Series (Black Sox Series)

Pathetic.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/2023-mlb-playoffs-rays-see-historically-low-attendance-for-game-1-of-al-wild-card-series-vs-rangers/

Wow.  That is very sad.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #222 on: October 04, 2023, 09:01:40 pm »
Rangers up now up 7-0 in the 7th.

D Rays 0 runs and 10 hits in 16 innings.    Prob. tough ending for a 99 W season. 

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #223 on: October 04, 2023, 09:15:40 pm »
Rangers up now up 7-0 in the 7th.

D Rays 0 runs and 10 hits in 16 innings.    Prob. tough ending for a 99 W season.

Having had time to 'study' at the embarrassing attendance for the 1st Wildcard Game at Tropicana Field, some reasons put forth...

...it was a 3PM Game on a Tuesday, that was announced on Sunday.

...elderly demographic majority.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #224 on: October 04, 2023, 09:22:15 pm »
Having had time to 'study' at the embarrassing attendance for the 1st Wildcard Game at Tropicana Field, some reasons put forth...

...it was a 3PM Game on a Tuesday, that was announced on Sunday.

...elderly demographic majority.

Agree, but 19K?  And of that 19K how many were season tickets, which are always enumerated in paid attendance figures?  There might have been only 10K there, and finally, you'd think enough TB business types would play hooky for a playoff game.   I have noticed that the ABC camera crews have done some innovative camera work to avoid showing the ocean of empty seats.

There's got to be at least a half dozen other metro areas that would / could better support this franchise. I'd be getting the hell out of Dodge.