Author Topic: Baseball 2023  (Read 36532 times)

Offline Polly Ticks

Re: Baseball 2023
« Reply #175 on: September 16, 2023, 03:25:47 pm »
Shohei Ohtani's locker emptied out; Angels to explain Saturday

He was definitely going to be gone at the end of the season in any case. 
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #176 on: September 16, 2023, 09:05:17 pm »

Still very bizarre.  Ohtani is a class guy, so I am guessing that his recent injuries are more severe than originally thought.  I just don't see it could be a falling out. 
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #177 on: September 16, 2023, 09:27:47 pm »
Still very bizarre.  Ohtani is a class guy, so I am guessing that his recent injuries are more severe than originally thought.  I just don't see it could be a falling out.

@catfish1957

Nope...have to disagree!  LOL!

His agent got involved.  He's potentially, the first BILLION $$$ player in professional sports.

If you're guaranteed to be playing somewhere else next season, why risk any injury to your hitting ability for a team that just publicly threw in the towel on the season.

...then look at Mike Trout.  He put himself back on the IL too!

Too much $$$ involved.  That's why I teased here a couple years ago that for the money these kids get, I'd 'OWN' their asses for the entire contract period.

No backyard pickup games of hoops...no jet skiing...no skiing of any kind...no loose women...green veggies every meal, etc.. :laugh:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #178 on: September 16, 2023, 09:32:27 pm »

@Polly Ticks

Yep!  IMO, he said, "As a legitimate 2-way player, why risk the remaining value I have, in a free-agent contract year?  I've already proven myself as the greatest since Babe Ruth...and Scott Boras said I should "SHUT IT DOWN NOW!!" (like the guy telling the electrical grid guy in "DIE HARD")   :laugh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gO2hwvinFLE
« Last Edit: September 16, 2023, 09:33:49 pm by DCPatriot »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #179 on: September 16, 2023, 09:51:32 pm »
@Polly Ticks

Yep!  IMO, he said, "As a legitimate 2-way player, why risk the remaining value I have, in a free-agent contract year?  I've already proven myself as the greatest since Babe Ruth...and Scott Boras said I should "SHUT IT DOWN NOW!!" (like the guy telling the electrical grid guy in "DIE HARD")   :laugh:

My exact thoughts.  Dizzy Dean is an ancient example of what can happen to a player, just playing through the pain, to the detriment of ruining a career..
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #180 on: September 17, 2023, 01:46:07 am »
@Polly Ticks

Absolutely right.

But you can't start talking about Die Hard ... it's too early in the year for Christmas movies.   wink777 
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #181 on: September 17, 2023, 09:01:21 pm »
In this strange year in MLB, looking the standings,  89 or 90, or so wins might buy you the no.2 seed and a bye this year in the AL.

Online Hoodat

« Reply #182 on: September 17, 2023, 09:23:06 pm »
Orioles win in extra innings to even series with Tampa.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #183 on: September 17, 2023, 09:25:27 pm »
In this strange year in MLB, looking the standings,  89 or 90, or so wins might buy you the no.2 seed and a bye this year in the AL.

Luckily, the O's split their four game series with the RAYS...now 2 games up in the AL East (4 in the lost column)

Tomorrow they start a 3 game series vs the ASTROS.  In Houston.

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #184 on: September 17, 2023, 09:25:49 pm »
Orioles win in extra innings to even series with Tampa.

:beer:

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #185 on: September 19, 2023, 04:18:10 am »
Congratulations to the Card's Wainright on his 200th W tonight.

This feat has and will become more rare in the modern baseball era.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2023, 04:20:54 am by catfish1957 »

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #186 on: September 19, 2023, 10:05:48 am »
Congratulations to the Card's Wainright on his 200th W tonight.

This feat has and will become more rare in the modern baseball era.

What?

WHAT??

No "Congratulations" for the Orioles spanking the Astros last nite?  :bolt:

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #187 on: September 19, 2023, 01:04:21 pm »
What?

WHAT??

No "Congratulations" for the Orioles spanking the Astros last nite?  :bolt:

Wasn't surprised.  If you didn't notice earlier, I was pretty much stating that this Astros team was not going to go deep in the post season. 

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #188 on: September 19, 2023, 01:30:17 pm »
Wasn't surprised.  If you didn't notice earlier, I was pretty much stating that this Astros team was not going to go deep in the post season.

I know...was just giving you a raspberry.  happy77

Saw the betting line before the game...couldn't understand why they had the ASTROS at -185

...until I saw the name "Justin Verlander"   :laugh:

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #189 on: September 19, 2023, 02:35:35 pm »
I know...was just giving you a raspberry.  happy77

Saw the betting line before the game...couldn't understand why they had the ASTROS at -185

...until I saw the name "Justin Verlander"   :laugh:

Wouldn't have mattered even  if it was Greg Maddux, when your closer blows a 2 run lead 9th inning lead, when it matters most.  If we make it to the LCS, we better hope the ALDS matchup s against Minnesota.  I don't think we get by any of the other 5.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #190 on: September 19, 2023, 03:02:27 pm »
Wouldn't have mattered even  if it was Greg Maddux, when your closer blows a 2 run lead 9th inning lead, when it matters most.  If we make it to the LCS, we better hope the ALDS matchup s against Minnesota.  I don't think we get by any of the other 5.

How can anyone expect anything from a pitching staff composed mostly of washed-up old has beens?
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #191 on: September 19, 2023, 03:11:15 pm »
How can anyone expect anything from a pitching staff composed mostly of washed-up old has beens?

Biggest difference is in the drop off in production of our Latin Contingent. If someway in the beginning of the season had told me that these would be the W's by mid September, I'd figure we'd be in 4th place.

Valdez- 12
Javier- 9
Uriquidy- 2
Garcia- 2

Last year these same 4, won 56, and if wasn't for Hunter Brown, we'd be in 4th.

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #192 on: September 20, 2023, 02:40:25 am »
Biggest difference is in the drop off in production of our Latin Contingent. If someway in the beginning of the season had told me that these would be the W's by mid September, I'd figure we'd be in 4th place.

Valdez- 12
Javier- 9
Uriquidy- 2
Garcia- 2

Last year these same 4, won 56, and if wasn't for Hunter Brown, we'd be in 4th.

@catfish1957

O's up 9-5 in the 7th tonight.

And once more, please note the juiced ball.  End-of-the-bat ...opposite field HRs...by 190lb hitters.

Can somebody pulleeze saw a ball in half and expose this sham?   LOL!   :beer:
« Last Edit: September 20, 2023, 02:41:55 am by DCPatriot »

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #193 on: September 26, 2023, 10:09:55 pm »
Just saw that Brooks Robinson passed away.  IMO, maybe the greatest defensive player who ever played the game at any position.

RIP....

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/38498947/hall-fame-3b-orioles-legend-brooks-robinson-dies-86

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #194 on: September 26, 2023, 10:42:02 pm »
Just saw that Brooks Robinson passed away.  IMO, maybe the greatest defensive player who ever played the game at any position.

RIP....

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/38498947/hall-fame-3b-orioles-legend-brooks-robinson-dies-86

:yowsa:  pointing-up
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #195 on: September 27, 2023, 04:37:17 pm »
Terry Francona is hanging up the managerial hat.

LOL!  I remember him as a player...he was notorious for going thru a routine after each and every pitch...gloves, helmet, digging up dirt in the box, etc..

One game Rick Dempsey, the Orioles catcher got so frustrated that when he threw the ball back to the mound after a pitch, he purposefully hit Francona SMACK on the side of this helmet.   happy77

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #196 on: September 29, 2023, 06:31:45 pm »
One thing about missing out on the Wildcard slot by just ONE win...

It's too easy to go back in your mind and find a game that was given away by an error or managerial mistake.

:yowsa:

Congratulations on the Orioles clinching a BYE and home field advantage with the best LEAGUE record.

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #197 on: September 29, 2023, 08:48:36 pm »
https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/38514750/astros-hector-neris-apologizes-julio-rodriguez-mariners

Hector Neris apology does little to warm over Julio Rodriguez

Hector Neris apologized to Julio Rodriguez in a statement Thursday, a day after the Houston Astros reliever shouted at the Mariners star during an at-bat that caused both benches to empty in Seattle.

In a battle of two teams fighting for the final American League wild-card spot, Neris yelled at Rodriguez after striking him out during the sixth inning of what was ultimately an 8-3 Houston win. Rodriguez was visibly angered by the pitcher's actions, as were other members of the Mariners.

"First, I want to apologize to Julio, his family, and the Mariners organization," Neris said in the statement. "I have a tremendous amount of respect for Julio as a person and a player. He means so much to baseball and the communities in the United States and back home in the Dominican Republic. He is a great player and a better person and deserves to be recognized that way........

continued at above link

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #198 on: September 29, 2023, 08:49:49 pm »

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #199 on: September 29, 2023, 09:57:10 pm »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OibemAEXQTw

Pffffffff!!!!!!   Every team has an ass hole, and if I remember right one of your teams in your own bandgwaggonig ways was Bryce Harper. 

Not many more of a jerk in MLB than that SOB.

Don't let your Astros hate get to you.