Author Topic: Baseball 2023  (Read 35895 times)

Online Hoodat

Baseball 2023
« on: March 12, 2023, 07:15:18 pm »

Here is your thread for baseball chat for the 2023 season.

MLB official site:
https://mlb.com/

Wikipedia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2023_Major_League_Baseball_season

Photo borrowed from @jmyrlefuller thread from last year.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online Hoodat

Re: Baseball 2023
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2023, 07:18:48 pm »
This called strike to end the game is the most atrocious call I've ever seen in my life. It got the ump suspended indefinitely.

Hamilton Porter  ··  Mar 12, 2023

If you're a baseball fan, prepare to get angry. I defy you to watch this video of the ending of the Miss. Valley State-New Orleans game yesterday and not get heated:

https://twitter.com/espn/status/1634585250624831488

https://notthebee.com/article/this-is-the-worst-strike-call-ive-ever-seen/

The umpire clearly did not like being questioned on the previous call.  But his actions on the next pitch were clearly an abuse of power.  Had I been the catcher, I would have intentionally dropped the ball and allowed the runner to reach first base, forcing the umpire to continue the game.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online Hoodat

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2023, 07:36:10 pm »
Flashback from '97.  (Yes, more bad calls going against the Braves)

@Polly Ticks

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2023, 01:49:20 am »
Thanks @Hoodat !

It kind of slipped away from me.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2023, 11:55:04 am »
FYI ... One year of free MLB.TV is coming to T-Mobile Tuesday on 3/28.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2023, 06:08:27 pm »
Not sure we have any Mets fans, but your closer Edwin Diaz went down with a knee injury during the WBC during a post game celebration for his home team of Pueto Rico. Understand he had to be carted off in a wheel chair.  He had a patellar tendon tear, and will have surgery, and from my guess with these types of injuries, will be out for the year.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/03/16/sport/edwin-diaz-world-baseball-classic-injury-spt-intl/index.html

I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline AllThatJazzZ

• Adopt your next pet, preferably a senior.
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2023, 11:59:43 pm »
Not sure we have any Mets fans, but your closer Edwin Diaz went down with a knee injury during the WBC during a post game celebration for his home team of Pueto Rico. Understand he had to be carted off in a wheel chair.  He had a patellar tendon tear, and will have surgery, and from my guess with these types of injuries, will be out for the year.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/03/16/sport/edwin-diaz-world-baseball-classic-injury-spt-intl/index.html

@catfish1957
And 'Tuve's got a broken thumb. Estimated to be out for 10 weeks or so.  8888crybaby

@Hoodat
Thanks for creating this thread. I came looking for one a couple of weeks ago. Figured someone would create one soon enough. Appreciate your taking the initiative.

A government big enough to give you everything you want
is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

Offline cato potatoe

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2023, 01:03:33 am »

That's terrible for him, and a leg injury is very tough on a pitcher.  I am a little surprised teams are letting their stars participate in the WBC. 

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2023, 09:37:19 am »
That's terrible for him, and a leg injury is very tough on a pitcher.  I am a little surprised teams are letting their stars participate in the WBC.

They're taking some heat for that, as some consider it an unnecessary risk; however, others are pointing out that there are always injuries during spring training, too.   

Presumably, they're hoping the WBC will help bring more fans into the fold.

Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline LadyLiberty

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2023, 06:09:38 pm »
I hate to see anyone injured, even if they are on a team I don't care for.

We had some banana ball in Sugar Land this weekend. Really fun rules on this version of baseball!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-4oMHbcP8U

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2023, 10:12:24 pm »
Question for the super-duper ultmate baseball geeks.....

When in player evaluation stats  mode does a player like Ohtani's WAR get calculated on both pitching and offensive contributions?

Trying to envision how much an annual player with a 10 WAR would get when he hits free agency........
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2023, 11:10:27 pm »
This called strike to end the game is the most atrocious call I've ever seen in my life. It got the ump suspended indefinitely.

Hamilton Porter  ··  Mar 12, 2023

If you're a baseball fan, prepare to get angry. I defy you to watch this video of the ending of the Miss. Valley State-New Orleans game yesterday and not get heated:

https://twitter.com/espn/status/1634585250624831488

https://notthebee.com/article/this-is-the-worst-strike-call-ive-ever-seen/

The umpire clearly did not like being questioned on the previous call.  But his actions on the next pitch were clearly an abuse of power.  Had I been the catcher, I would have intentionally dropped the ball and allowed the runner to reach first base, forcing the umpire to continue the game.

Yeah, I saw that.  I think the ump was disciplined/suspended/fired.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2023, 11:12:48 pm »

When in player evaluation stats  mode does a player like Ohtani's WAR get calculated on both pitching and offensive contributions?

Trying to envision how much an annual player with a 10 WAR would get when he hits free agency........

Yes, it does.  I'm the mod on a baseball forum full of some extraordinarily intense stat geeks, and I think it was last year that they were crunching all those numbers and debating it.  A couple of the guys are actually employed by teams, and they chip in as well.

I have to say that I love Ohtani.  He's got a great baseball attitude and just seems like a super good guy.  Fantastic for baseball, too.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2023, 11:13:34 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2023, 11:15:28 pm »
Flashback from '97.  (Yes, more bad calls going against the Braves)

@Polly Ticks

I remember that game.  My Indians made it to the World Series that year against the Marlins, and we got "Hernandez'd as well."  But that particular game you posted was the worst.

Gregg should have been fired after that game, but wasn't.  They didn't let him call postseason games again, and he was out a couple of years later.  But they didn't fire him, likely because he was one of the first black umpires.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2023, 11:19:16 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2023, 07:35:11 pm »
Opening Day in 5 days...

According to predictive stats at Fan Graphs here is how your team stacks up.  On opening day hope springs eternal.  We all are 0-0.

(Sorry for the spacing)

https://www.fangraphs.com/standings/playoff-odds

Team                  % Chance of winning WS      % Chance of making playoffs.     
======             ====                                ====
Braves                  14.8                                   91.9
Padres                  12.0                                   88.0
Yankees.               10.9.                                  83.4
Astros                    8.8.                                  79.2
Mets                      7.9                                   79.0
Blue Jays               6.6                                    71.7
Devil Rays.             5.4                                   66.8
Cardinals               5.3                                    72.1
Dodgers                 5.1                                    68.5
Brewers                 3.1                                    57.5
Mariners.               2.9                                    48.0
Indians.                 2.8                                    54.2
Phillies.                  2.7                                    49.8
Angels                   2.2                                    40.8
Twins                     2.0                                    45.5
Giants                    1.9                                    41.3
Rangers.                 1.7                                    36.1
Red Sox                 1.4                                    30.0
White Sox.              0.9.                                   27.7
Marlins                    0.6                                   22.4
Diamondbacks.        0.4                                   13.6
Oiroles                    0.3                                     8.2
Cubs                       0.2                                    10.6
Pirates.                   0.1                                     4.4
Royals                     0.0.                                    4.5
Tigers                      0.0.                                    3.4
Reds                        0.0                                     0.7
Athletics.                 0.0                                      0.6
Rockies                    0.0                                      0.1
Nationals.                0.0                                      0.1

Yeah I said Indians instead of Guardians on purpose.....

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2023, 02:58:50 pm »
Got to admit, that even with all the crappy MLB wokeness, I am starting to feel the spring fever of opening day.....  Anyone want to prognosticate what we will see this year.  Some teams like Toronto really strengthed, while some like the poor Mets just suffered a -4 to 5 WAR with the loss of the closer. Plus as an Astros fan, I know it isn't too smart to bet against Verlander, but at some point he's going to start showing his age.  I think they underperform this year.

From my view point this year including seed:

NL

Byes (ATL 1) (LA 2)

WC (MIL 3) v  (PHI 6)
      (SD 4) v. (SF 5)

AL

Byes (TOR 1) (HOU 2)

WC (MIN 3 v. NYY 6)
      (TB 4 v. SEA 5)

NLDS 

ATL over PHI
SD over LA

ALDS

TOR over NYY
SEA over HOU. (Yeah, my team, but this team has been subject to bouts of complacency that haunts them sometimes). Seattle would love nothing better to get revenge and rub it in our faces.

LCS

SD over ATL
TOR over SEA

WS

SD over TOR. (And FOX and MLB again are aghast at ratings due to teams in the WS

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2023, 03:46:34 pm »
Ok, so who has been watching spring training games, and what do you think of the pitch clock / shift ban?

I'm thinking the pitch clock will be great for folks watching at home on TV, but less happy for those attending the game live at the ballpark.  Instead of missing an inning when you go to the concessions stand, you'll miss an inning and a half.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2023, 03:52:02 pm »
Ok, so who has been watching spring training games, and what do you think of the pitch clock / shift ban?

I'm thinking the pitch clock will be great for folks watching at home on TV, but less happy for those attending the game live at the ballpark.  Instead of missing an inning when you go to the concessions stand, you'll miss an inning and a half.

I've basically hated every rule change since the DH.  Baseball is a game for the purist, and its stats are sacred. As a kid, numbers like 60, 4191, 714 had special meaning.  As far as I am concerned,  almost every COB in the past 50 years has tried to ruin the game.

The timeclock hurts managers ability to milk the time, where he now has to go to the pen with possibiy an under warmed up arm.  That and the stupid three batter rule.

Offline LadyLiberty

« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2023, 04:26:37 pm »
Plus as an Astros fan, I know it isn't too smart to bet against Verlander, but at some point he's going to start showing his age.

Verlander has said that he just wants to play long enough for his daughter to have memories of him pitching on the mound, and I hope that works out for him.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2023, 04:50:00 pm »
Verlander has said that he just wants to play long enough for his daughter to have memories of him pitching on the mound, and I hope that works out for him.

Making $40M a year, and married to Kate Upton?

I'd say....   Basebaw ben vedy vedy good to Justin.

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2023, 05:30:45 pm »
Just a reminder, today is the day you can get a free year of MLB.TV with T-Mobile Tuesday.

You're on your own for the VPN.

:beer:

Offline cato potatoe

« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2023, 06:01:59 pm »

I'm not wild about a tacky clock, but lately, the pace is excruciatingly slow.  The players sort of brought it on themselves.

The other changes are totally unnecessary.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2023, 06:36:27 pm »
I hate to see anyone injured, even if they are on a team I don't care for.

We had some banana ball in Sugar Land this weekend. Really fun rules on this version of baseball!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-4oMHbcP8U

Friends of mine went. ( I am only one mile away from the stadium).
We have our 10 game "Silver Stars" (55+ years old) package, for the Sugar Land Space Cowboys.
For those not familiar, they are the Astros Triple a Team.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2023, 06:47:17 pm »

Is it possible that the Angels may trade him before they lose control of him and he becomes a free Agent?
Hard to imagine, I know, kind of like trading Babe Ruth, but let's face it.
Outside of Trout and Ohtani, the Angels are rebuilding, and another huge salary may hamper that.
Just wonderin'

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2023, 06:58:09 pm »
{Behind paywall, but briefly excerpted}

Rickey Henderson on MLB’s new rules: ‘You gotta let these kids run’

[...]

With the distance from first base to second base and second to third now 4 1/2 inches shorter, The Athletic spoke to more than a dozen people this spring about whether the sport will return to annually having players with 70 or 80 steals. (To get the former, you have to go back to Jacoby Ellsbury in 2009.)

Opinions varied. But the question kept coming up, in interviews and casual conversations.

How many would Rickey steal?

“Oh, I’d say 1,600 or 1,700,” Henderson told The Athletic in a phone interview on Friday. “I do have 1,406 (all-time).”

As if anyone can forget. Henderson’s stolen base record is so preposterous he’s 468 steals ahead of second-place, Hall of Famer Lou Brock. To put that in perspective, the active leader in steals – Dee Strange-Gordon – is more than 1,000 behind Henderson at 336 and is still a free agent. Henderson stole 100 or more bases three times, including 130 in 1982, which still stands as the single-season record.

[...]

Henderson stole more bases in 1982 than any big-league team did last year. (Texas again topped the chart with 128.)

Now imagine Henderson watching all these guys double their stolen base totals because pitchers’ pickoffs are limited and the bases are bigger. The gregarious 64-year-old isn’t content watching other guys creep closer to him under an easier set of rules.

“I wish the game would be just left alone,” said Henderson, who was inducted into Cooperstown in 2009, “but if they’re going to (make these changes) they got to add 50 or 60 on mine. That’s the new rule.”

https://theathletic.com/4349809/2023/03/27/rickey-henderson-stolen-bases-mlb/