Author Topic: How heat pumps leave some homes so cold people are ripping them out  (Read 547 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
How heat pumps leave some homes so cold people are ripping them out
MARCH 9, 2023
tags: heat pumps
By Paul Homewood

To heat pump, or not to heat pump? That is the question. The answer is a resounding: NO.
That is what readers have told us in response to our article questioning heat pumps and the Government’s £450 million scheme to convince us to install the eco-friendly boiler alternatives.
The Boiler Upgrade Scheme, launched last May, offers grants of up to £6,000 if homeowners rip out their gas boiler and install an air or ground source heat pump.

Homeowners who have bought homes with heat pumps already installed – or purchased new builds where pumps were part of the package – have told us about a litany of problems associated with the technology.

This is despite their overwhelming desire to do their bit to save the planet from self-destruction.
Some have got so fed up with them they have had them removed — or installed additional heating systems to step in when the pumps don’t generate enough heat.

Many of the critics are knowledgeable. They include retired engineers and current installers of heat pumps.

https://notalotofpeopleknowthat.wordpress.com/2023/03/09/how-heat-pumps-leave-some-homes-so-cold-people-are-ripping-them-out/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
Re: How heat pumps leave some homes so cold people are ripping them out
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2023, 01:24:56 pm »
I have a heat pump in my Texas place, and I have to supplement it with room heaters and a wood stove on the coldest days. No way it can heat my place if the temperature gets below 45 degrees.  It works great for cold air in the summer, though.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2023, 05:47:23 pm »
I have a heat pump in my Texas place, and I have to supplement it with room heaters and a wood stove on the coldest days. No way it can heat my place if the temperature gets below 45 degrees.  It works great for cold air in the summer, though.

Just about every home I've had in AZ had heat pumps, and they work very well here.  Mine will cool down a house in 120F Summer heat, and comfortably warm the castle when it's 30F outside.

That said, I think our climate is very different from places in the North, where it gets much, much colder in the Winter, and I would think the heat pumps would not work as well.  JMHO.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online roamer_1

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2023, 05:49:21 pm »

That deficit is well known in the North. Heat pumps do come with an electric element which takes over (or supplements?) ... But unfortunately, the cost of electric heat when needed greatly offsets summertime efficiencies.

Also unfortunately, a gas-over-heat pump or even propane-over-heat pump seems to be beyond the ken of manufacturers.  :shrug:
« Last Edit: March 12, 2023, 05:50:26 pm by roamer_1 »

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2023, 08:11:22 pm »
I am seeing this in North Alabama.  I'm finding lots of homes that have gas for stove or fireplace, but still use electric heat.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2023, 01:10:12 pm »
That deficit is well known in the North. Heat pumps do come with an electric element which takes over (or supplements?) ... But unfortunately, the cost of electric heat when needed greatly offsets summertime efficiencies.

Also unfortunately, a gas-over-heat pump or even propane-over-heat pump seems to be beyond the ken of manufacturers.  :shrug:
About the only way to do it here is with wells with loops in them. Frost depth is 6', so ground loops don't work.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2023, 01:20:50 pm »
Heat pumps don't work when there is no heat to pump!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2023, 01:48:03 pm »
The deeper well-type units work up here, but the setup costs are significant. The tribal center nearby saved half their utility costs (heating/cooling) their first year over previous years. The problem is you have to go down a couple hundred feet or more to get a heat sink that will work, and that's cost prohibitive for a lot of single family dwellings.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2023, 01:54:34 pm »

Well, there you go again, making things complicated.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Online roamer_1

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2023, 07:17:26 pm »
About the only way to do it here is with wells with loops in them. Frost depth is 6', so ground loops don't work.

Ground pumps work alright here... Once you get past the hard part, which is in fact getting it in the ground. We consider frost line at 4 feet here in the valley. But there are plenty of places around here where you'll run into a piece of Montana long before you get to 4 feet.  :laugh:

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2023, 07:19:28 pm »
Ground pumps work alright here... Once you get past the hard part, which is in fact getting it in the ground. We consider frost line at 4 feet here in the valley. But there are plenty of places around here where you'll run into a piece of Montana long before you get to 4 feet.  :laugh:
Even the soft stuff is still bits of Montana... But  I see what you're saying. Not much regolith on the way to bedrock. (makes for better placer mining in the right spots).

C S Lewis