Author Topic: IRS audit finds 42,000 feds cheating on taxes  (Read 249 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
IRS audit finds 42,000 feds cheating on taxes
« on: March 10, 2023, 06:16:46 pm »
IRS audit finds 42,000 feds cheating on taxes
By Stephen Dinan - The Washington Times - Friday, March 10, 2023

More than 42,000 federal employees “repeatedly” failed to file their taxes with the IRS, according to a new audit that said the government is limited in its ability to punish the cheats.

Known as “federal employee nonfilers,” the cases are considered particularly egregious since they involve those paid by taxpayer money but shirking taxpayer obligations.

But the IRS devotes little effort to targeting federal nonfilers, according to the Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration. And the law restricts how much information the IRS can share with other federal agencies, so they’re limited in their ability to prod or punish the employees, the audit found.

As of 2021, delinquent federal employees owed $1.5 billion in unpaid taxes.

“Repeatedly not filing a tax return when a taxpayer is required to do so is a brazen form of noncompliance. Federal civilian employees with tax delinquencies have a legal and ethical requirement to be current with their tax obligations,” the inspector general said in the report Thursday.

more
https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2023/mar/10/irs-audit-finds-42000-feds-cheating-on-taxes/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: IRS audit finds 42,000 feds cheating on taxes
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2023, 07:07:39 pm »
They're Feds.

They make rules, they don't have to follow them...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline catfish1957

• If you are a democrat.... You are my enemy. We will never forget May 30, 2024. FJB
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2023, 07:11:12 pm »
Failed to File?????????

Are you shitting me?   9999hair out0000

In my eyes and former career, this is like 42,000 deadbeats who ran from the pump and didn't pay,,,,,,,  and got away with it.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2023, 07:12:28 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2023, 09:20:05 pm »
Failed to File?????????

Are you shitting me?   9999hair out0000

In my eyes and former career, this is like 42,000 deadbeats who ran from the pump and didn't pay,,,,,,,  and got away with it.

Nah.  If they're federal employees, they're most likely to predominantly have wage income subject to withholding, and the wage withholding is intentionally designed to overwithhold.  So they've probably in fact overpaid their income tax, and once it's been three years, they won't be able to get a refund of that overpayment.

Offline catfish1957

• If you are a democrat.... You are my enemy. We will never forget May 30, 2024. FJB
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2023, 09:46:14 pm »
Nah.  If they're federal employees, they're most likely to predominantly have wage income subject to withholding, and the wage withholding is intentionally designed to overwithhold.  So they've probably in fact overpaid their income tax, and once it's been three years, they won't be able to get a refund of that overpayment.

????

Still have  to file a 1040 and all associated gyrations to get a carryover enumerated for a refund, or a refund carryover.

Kind of like the silly $3K perpetual carryover of Capital losses and filling out the Sch D's

The only obscure reason I could think is that if there were any minimum wage fed employees , like a GS-3.  But latest OPM guidelines are $15/hr.,  so that exceeds the $28,500 threshnold.

I'm stumped....  there are reasons that they might not have a tax liability due to deductions, or exemptions, but not file?   Hmmmmm.

I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.