Author Topic: Are Hampton Roads’ giant cranes spying on the US for China? The Pentagon has concerns  (Read 160 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Are Hampton Roads’ giant cranes spying on the US for China? The Pentagon has concerns
By CAITLYN BURCHETT
THE VIRGINIAN-PILOT • March 10, 2023

NORFOLK, Va. (Tribune News Service) — The Pentagon is reportedly concerned Chinese-made cranes operating at U.S. ports may be a “Trojan horse,” collecting intelligence on the movements of defense supplies.

According to the Wall Street Journal, ship-to-shore cranes manufactured by Zhenhua Heavy Industries Co. — or ZPMC — contain sophisticated sensors with the capability of tracking the origin and destination of cargo containers.

The cranes in question are widely used by the Portsmouth-based Port of Virginia, with four having been installed at the Virginia International Gateway in 2019 after sailing to Hampton Roads from China. The cranes, standing 170 feet tall and weighing roughly 14.6 million pounds each, are among the largest on the East Coast.

Sachin Shetty, associate professor for Old Dominion University’s Modeling, Analysis and Simulation Center and a cybersecurity expert, said it is “not likely” the cranes could spy on area ports given all the security measures in place.

https://www.stripes.com/theaters/us/2023-03-10/hampton-roads-giant-cranes-chinese-spying-9445762.html
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
If your information does not go on line it cannot be stolen nearly so easily.

If the Chinese were not doing this, someone just gave them the idea, so they will be.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis