Author Topic: Silicon Valley Bank meltdown sparks contagion fears: ‘We found our Enron’  (Read 1927 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Silicon Valley Bank meltdown sparks contagion fears: ‘We found our Enron’
By Ariel Zilber   
March 10, 2023 8:49am

Fears of a broad financial contagion spread on Friday after tech lender Silicon Valley Bank set off alarm bells over liquidity concerns — sparking share losses across the banking sector worth some $52 billion on Thursday.

Peter Thiel’s venture capital firm Founders Firm advised clients to withdraw their deposits from Silicon Valley Bank — despite the fact the lender has been a mainstay for tech startups for decades, according to Bloomberg News.

Bill Ackman, the billionaire hedge fund manager, called on the US government to step in and bail out Silicon Valley Bank.

Michael Burry, the eccentric investor featured in the 2015 film “The Big Short,” warned: “It is possible today we found our Enron.”

Shares of Silicon Valley Bank’s parent company, SVB Financial Group, nosedived by 60% on Thursday evening, wiping out more than $80 billion from its market capitalization.

The company’s stock was down another 45% in pre-market trading on Friday — dragging down the share price of several other publicly traded banking giants.

more
https://nypost.com/2023/03/10/silicon-valley-bank-meltdown-sparks-contagion-fears/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Silicon Valley Bank is shut down by regulators, FDIC to protect insured deposits
Published Fri, Mar 10 202311:46 AM ESTUpdated 2 Min Ago

Jesse Pound

Greg Becker, the CEO of Silicon Valley Bank, tried to calm tech investors and startups during a Thursday Zoom call.

“My ask is to stay calm because that’s what is important,” Becker told listeners on the call. “We have been long-term supporters of you — the last thing we need you to do is panic.”

Shares of Signature Bank dropped by some 4% in pre-market trading while First Republic Bank, whose stock fell 17% on Thursday, was down another 3% before the opening bell on Friday.

Shares of JPMorgan Chase, which fell 5% on Thursday, dropped another 1% in pre-market trading on Friday.

more
https://nypost.com/2023/03/10/silicon-valley-bank-meltdown-sparks-contagion-fears/
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline Timber Rattler

• Conservative Purist and Patriot
aka "nasty degenerate SOB," "worst of the worst at Free Republic," "Garbage Troll," "Neocon Warmonger," "Filthy Piece of Trash," "damn $#%$#@!," "Silly f'er," "POS," "war pig," "neocon scumbag," "insignificant little ankle nipper," "@ss-clown," "neocuck," "termite," "Uniparty Deep stater," "Never Trump sack of dog feces," "avid Bidenista," "filthy Ukrainian," "war whore," "fricking chump," psychopathic POS, and depraved SOB.

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act."  ---George Orwell

"If you want peace, prepare for war." ---Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Online Kamaji

Michael Burry, the eccentric investor featured in the 2015 film “The Big Short,” warned: “It is possible today we found our Enron.”

Is he alleging massive accounting fraud at SVB?

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Feds Take Over Silicon Valley Bank in Biggest Bank Failure Since 2007
Joe Cunningham

Silicon Valley Bank (SBV), a financial institution that focused primarily on investing in tech start-ups, has been taken over and shut down by federal regulators in one of biggest financial failures in history, and the biggest since the Global Financial Crisis over a decade ago.

The collapse of the bank comes as the tech industry has lost a lot of profitability in recent months. Major tech firms are slashing jobs, and new start-ups are dwindling.

The stunning downfall of the bank, once a darling of the financial world, comes after it raced to find a buyer following a major reported loss, according to the Wall Street Journal.

https://redstate.com/joesquire/2023/03/10/feds-take-over-silicon-valley-bank-in-biggest-bank-failure-since-2007-n714598
Support the USO

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Just read that 97% of accounts aren't insured by FDIC due to them being over the limit of $250K.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
Just read that 97% of accounts aren't insured by FDIC due to them being over the limit of $250K.

If there are two signatures and people on named account that would be $500K.  And if those two had over $500K, their fiscal IQ needs to be improved.

https://www.fdic.gov/deposit/diguidebankers/documents/joint-accounts.pdf
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
If there are two signatures and people on named account that would be $500K.  And if those two had over $500K, their fiscal IQ needs to be improved.

https://www.fdic.gov/deposit/diguidebankers/documents/joint-accounts.pdf

I worked at a Credit Union 2004 - 2008 in IT but I could see people's balances, I would routinely see six figures parked in a regular checking account making hardly any interest or in things like CD's. Kinda crazy but I don't know what it's about.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
I worked at a Credit Union 2004 - 2008 in IT but I could see people's balances, I would routinely see six figures parked in a regular checking account making hardly any interest or in things like CD's. Kinda crazy but I don't know what it's about.

CD's right now are about the best bet out there short term and decently safe.  We've got slews of banks and credit unions around here paying 3.5-4.5% yields on 1 year terms.  With the silly rate inversions, we are seeing oddly rates dropping as the terms length increases.

I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online mountaineer

Biden economic advisor Cecilia Rouse downplays today's collapse of Silicon Valley Bank — the largest bank to fail since the 2008 financial crisis

https://twitter.com/RNCResearch/status/1634286909185839125
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online mountaineer

Mar 10 20235:36 PM EST
Dow closes more than 300 points lower, posts worst week since June as Silicon Valley Bank collapse sparks selloff: Live updates

Samantha Subin and Alex Harring

Stocks tumbled Friday as tech-focused lender Silicon Valley Bank shut down following losses in its bond portfolio, prompting the biggest bank failure since the global financial crisis and sending shockwaves through the banking sector.

The Dow Jones Industrial Average dropped for a fourth consecutive day, finishing 345.22 points lower, or 1.07%, to close at 31,909.64. The S&P 500 lost 1.45% to settle at 3,861.59. The Nasdaq Composite shed 1.76% to end at 11,138.89.

All the major averages capped off the week with losses. The Dow fell 4.44% to post its worst weekly performance since June. The S&P dropped 4.55%, while the Nasdaq lost 4.71%. ... CNBC

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
SVB International Fallout: UK and EU Lenders Lose £30 Billion Overnight as ‘Panic’ Spreads

The Silicon Valley Bank fallout went international with UK and European lenders seeing nearly £30 billion wiped off their portfolios

https://www.breitbart.com/europe/2023/03/11/svb-international-fallout-uk-and-european-lenders-lose-30-billion-overnight-as-panic-spreads/
Support the USO

Offline Timber Rattler

• Conservative Purist and Patriot
Monday's gonna be rough...

All the Companies Facing Major Troubles After Silicon Valley Bank Crash

https://www.thedailybeast.com/roku-etsy-vox-media-companies-impacted-by-silicon-valley-bank-crash

aka "nasty degenerate SOB," "worst of the worst at Free Republic," "Garbage Troll," "Neocon Warmonger," "Filthy Piece of Trash," "damn $#%$#@!," "Silly f'er," "POS," "war pig," "neocon scumbag," "insignificant little ankle nipper," "@ss-clown," "neocuck," "termite," "Uniparty Deep stater," "Never Trump sack of dog feces," "avid Bidenista," "filthy Ukrainian," "war whore," "fricking chump," psychopathic POS, and depraved SOB.

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act."  ---George Orwell

"If you want peace, prepare for war." ---Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Online mountaineer

The Kobeissi Letter
@KobeissiLetter
This Week's Liquidity Crisis:

1. Stock markets lost $2 trillion in 5 days

2. Crypto markets lost $100 billion in 24 hours

3. U.S. banks lost $100 billion in 2 days

4. SVB failed with $200 billion in 24 hours

5. Bonds post biggest move since 2008

All of the buyers are gone.
4:45 PM · Mar 11, 2023

Online Hoodat

Monday's gonna be rough...

Next week, there will be a lot of very wealthy Democrats asking Biden for a government bailout.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline catfish1957

Maybe the best idea at least at the moment on short term upcoming effect, .... is after hours on KBE...  Which is is about as true of a barometer ETF on the banking industry.  A blended index fund of the banks in the S & P 500.

At this exact moment , it's up 0.4% which at least right now does't look like a crash imminent.   

OTOH, I will be really watching trading in European markets early Monday to see if there is any cracks in the line.  If we see another large bank failure, we might be in for a downward slide Monday.  I've been looking for a major correction for some now.....   Based on last week I'm taking it from DEFCON 3 to 2.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2023, 02:22:53 pm by catfish1957 »

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
I hope this isn't one of those events that spreads and sneaks up to bite the world economy on the butt.

These kind of things can get out of hand fast.
The Republic is lost.

Offline catfish1957

I hope this isn't one of those events that spreads and sneaks up to bite the world economy on the butt.

These kind of things can get out of hand fast.

As a child, maybe 9 or 10, I remember watching "It's a Wonderful Life", and the scene around the bank run unfolded, I asked what that meant.  And got quite an education. 

There aren't that many people left alive who can realistically remember The Depression.  But they'll sure give you a interesting take of "getting out of hand". 

Offline catfish1957

Nikkei down 1 1/2 % in mid day trading. 

So though a down day so far, no panic selling.  Anxious to see how the European markets react later....

Offline catfish1957

Nikkei stablized and close down 1.11% for the day.

Mid day

FTSE (England), DAX (Germany), and CAC (French) all  down 2%

Gold approaching $1900/oz

VIX futures down just a tad (good sign)...Oops, updated up 12%

KBE- Down 5% pre-market (This will be the one to watch) It will be the first barometer to see if this banking crisis has legs.

« Last Edit: March 13, 2023, 12:04:52 pm by catfish1957 »

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
Nikkei down 1 1/2 % in mid day trading. 

So though a down day so far, no panic selling.  Anxious to see how the European markets react later....

Guess we're about to see just how much cryptocurrency and t-bill exposure the banks have out there.
The Republic is lost.

Offline catfish1957

Guess we're about to see just how much cryptocurrency and t-bill exposure the banks have out there.

BTC/$USD ratio is pretty flat in futures markets this morning.  Could be inverse factors in play here too though.  How much is of bit coin is dissolved in the bank crisis vs. how much is a so called flight to safety of those scared of the $USD that might result from a bank run.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical

BTC/$USD ratio is pretty flat in futures markets this morning.  Could be inverse factors in play here too though.  How much is of bit coin is dissolved in the bank crisis vs. how much is a so called flight to safety of those scared of the $USD that might result from a bank run.

We've dropped so many turds in the punch bowl that it's made things much more unpredictable for the USD and the world financial system. Plus we've done so much to enable China that they can really screw with us while this is all going down.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Idiot

We've dropped so many turds in the punch bowl that it's made things much more unpredictable for the USD and the world financial system. Plus we've done so much to enable China that they can really screw with us while this is all going down.
Our market has been so skittish the last several months this may very well be the "cockroach trips over a cigarette butt" moment that sends it plummeting.

Offline catfish1957

:2popcorn:

KBE now down 7% as we approach open, and VIX rocketed to 30 as Pedo Joe opened his mouth.

Going to be an interesting day.