Author Topic: Navy carriers, submarines cleared to use 3D-printed parts  (Read 123 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Navy carriers, submarines cleared to use 3D-printed parts
« on: March 09, 2023, 03:50:19 pm »
Navy carriers, submarines cleared to use 3D-printed parts
Story by Caitlyn Burchett, Daily Press • Yesterday 5:21 PM

The Navy’s nuclear-powered warships increasingly will be made of 3D printed parts, which are cutting costs and reducing production time on billion-dollar ships that are years in the making.

Huntington Ingalls Industries announced Tuesday that its Newport News Shipbuilding division has been cleared to use printed pipe fittings or other potential components in the construction of aircraft carriers, submarines and other Naval Sea Systems platforms.

“This will continue to propel our progress in efficiency, safety and affordability as we remain steadfast in our mission to deliver the critical ships our Navy needs to protect peace around the world,” said Dave Bolcar, vice president of engineering and design for Newport News Shipbuilding.

Three Gerald R. Ford-class aircraft carriers and the Columbia- and Virginia-class submarines are being built at Newport News Shipbuilding. Delivery dates are scattered across the next decade.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/navy-carriers-submarines-cleared-to-use-3d-printed-parts/ar-AA18nvZu
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson