Author Topic: Asteroid could barrel into Earth on Valentine’s Day in 23 years: NASA  (Read 674 times)

Offline Kamaji

Asteroid could barrel into Earth on Valentine’s Day in 23 years: NASA

By Allie Griffin
March 9, 2023

An asteroid the size of an Olympic swimming pool has a small chance of barreling into Earth on Valentine’s Day 23 years from now, according to scientists.

The asteroid, named 2023 DW, has a one in 625 chance of slamming into Earth on Feb. 14, 2046, according to the European Space Agency.

The space rock, with a 50-meter diameter, is at the number one spot on the agency’s “Risk List” of space objects that have a greater than zero probability of making impact to Earth.

2023 DW is the only asteroid on the list that scored a 1 on the Torino scale, which is used to categorize the risk of impact to Earth level. All others have 0 ratings.

Level 1 indicates that the chance of collision is “extremely unlikely with no cause for public attention or public concern,” according to the Center for Near Earth Object Studies.

Source:  https://nypost.com/2023/03/09/asteroid-could-hit-earth-on-valentines-day-in-23-years/

Offline Kamaji

Meh.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Obviously global warming is drawing the asteroid to us. Yeah, that's the ticket.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
2046?  On the bright side we will all be dead from the irreversible effect of climate change before the big day.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
2046?  On the bright side we will all be dead from the irreversible effect of climate change before the big day.
By 2046 those who are not already dead from the 'forced' (so called) COVID vaccine by then, will be sterile, so no reproduction.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Good Lord! is it we're all gonna die by asteroid strike month again already?

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
So.  Who had Asteroid in feb of 46?

Offline berdie

So they think they can forecast an event 23 years from now...on the exact day? I'm impressed.

I wonder what time of day it will hit so I can adequately prepare. Sadly, I can't find the little hair on fire guys emoji to post. But trust me I'm running around just like them./s

Offline Wingnut

So they think they can forecast an event 23 years from now...on the exact day? I'm impressed.

I wonder what time of day it will hit so I can adequately prepare. Sadly, I can't find the little hair on fire guys emoji to post. But trust me I'm running around just like them./s

Tell me about it, they can't even detect a Chinese balloon in our atmosphere but they got a bead on a rock floating out in space.  Ground control to Major Tom?

Offline Kamaji

Orbital mechanics are like that.

Offline berdie

Re: Asteroid could barrel into Earth on Valentine’s Day in 23 years: NASA
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2023, 09:54:41 pm »
Orbital mechanics are like that.

Good! So they can tell me to duck and cover. :laugh: That's a relief!

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2023, 10:02:00 pm »
I would be really impressed if they could calculate exactly where it will hit. As it is, they say the odds are extremely low that it will hit us at all. In other words, the headline is click bait.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2023, 10:54:50 pm »
I would be really impressed if they could calculate exactly where it will hit. As it is, they say the odds are extremely low that it will hit us at all. In other words, the headline is click bait.

Yes, the headline is actually click bait, which disappointed me a bit since it's the NY Post, which isn't usually click bait heavy.