Author Topic: Using the Courts to Shake Down Fossil Fuel Companies  (Read 126 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Using the Courts to Shake Down Fossil Fuel Companies
« on: March 09, 2023, 12:01:37 pm »

"Inside Every Progressive Is A Totalitarian Screaming To Get Out" —David Horowitz

Using the Courts to Shake Down Fossil Fuel Companies
Why the climate change lawsuits have no merit.
March 6, 2023 by Joseph Klein 14 Comments

United Nations Secretary General Antonio Guterres has added his voice to the anti-fossil fuel extremists supporting lawsuits against what he described as “climate-wrecking corporations.” Secretary General Guterres meant the fossil fuel companies whom he regularly demonizes.

In the United States, legal complaints have already been filed in various states against major oil companies for allegedly hiding from the public for decades what they supposedly knew about the dangers that fossil fuels pose to the climate. The plaintiffs, who are often state governments, have gone to their own state courts where the plaintiffs think they will have a better chance than in federal courts to obtain windfalls in compensation for their alleged damages.

The plaintiffs are following the playbook used successfully against tobacco companies in the 1990s. The lawsuits against tobacco companies alleged that they continued to sell cigarette products to the public while intentionally concealing for decades scientific information that they knew linked smoking to cancer. A huge settlement cost the tobacco companies more than $200 billion, with a good chunk enriching the plaintiffs’ lawyers. 

https://www.frontpagemag.com/using-the-courts-to-shake-down-fossil-fuel-companies/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson