Author Topic: North Korea has the world’s largest navy – but it’s still a joke  (Read 121 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
North Korea has the world’s largest navy – but it’s still a joke
Story by Team Mighty • Yesterday 9:06 AM

North Korea’s navy, officially called the Korean People’s Navy, has a strength estimated to be between 700 ships at the low end to more than 900 by higher estimation. It is also believed to have more than 60,000 active duty sailors in its service. These numbers sound big, really big, especially when compared to the U.S. Navy, which has just shy of 350,000 personnel and 290 combat vessels.

If naval warfare was a numbers game, then North Korea’s navy might be a little more intimidating. The truth is that much of the Korean People’s Navy is undertrained inept, or (like most things in North Korea) obsolete.

It goes without saying that a strong naval presence, even with today’s ICBM and aerial refueling capabilities, is still the best way for countries to project power, either regionally or globally. The United States is a global superpower because of its 11 aircraft carriers and massive tonnage of ships able to deploy in blue water combat, not because it has a massive number of men and ships. North Korea has none of that capability, despite its massive numbers of both.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/north-korea-has-the-world-s-largest-navy-but-it-s-still-a-joke/ar-AA18kdks?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=3570ce26f19041b584e5cc66dc8bb787&ei=48
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson