Author Topic: HP Sucks!  (Read 879 times)

Offline Hoodat

HP Sucks!
« on: March 08, 2023, 03:33:19 am »
I have spent the last five hours trying to get a HP printer to work.  It was previously connected through home network.  I am now in temporary apt trying to connect it to laptop via USB connection.

There is this POS program called HP Smart that keeps loading up three versions of the same printer every time I plug it in.  I tried deleting it, but it still keeps popping right back up each time I connect printer.

What happened to the days when you could go on a vendor website, find a driver, download, and install?  HP wants to add all this other POS software.  This is really pissing me off.

If any of you get an HP printer, DO NOT INSTALL HP SMART!!!
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Re: HP Sucks!
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2023, 03:58:50 am »
I've used HP laserjets for many years now, but I've never used  HP Smart. I've never even heard of it.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2023, 04:01:14 am »
I just connected it to the wireless router.  But all HP software has been uninstalled.  So nothing will print.  Not even a test page.

Looks like I'm going to have to reinstall HP Smart.  But the reviews tell it like it is:  https://apps.microsoft.com/store/detail/hp-smart/9WZDNCRFHWLH?hl=en-us&gl=us
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2023, 04:33:03 am »
KISS (Keep it Simple Stupid) is what I am looking for, thanks for the warning. My Canon is still working fine, but I want better resolution (and larger surface area) scans, but will stick with this for time being.
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2023, 04:46:08 am »
Reloaded HP Smart.  Now only shows the one printer, which is good.  Setup successfully accepted the WPA key and the password.  But now it tells me the printer is offline (which it is not).

I hate #$@!^& computers.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2023, 04:52:06 am »
OMG, I got it to work.  Reinstalling HP Smart wiped out the WPA key.  Had to configure again.  It is working now.  HP still sucks though.  Can't believe I couldn't hook up a printer cable to a USB port and get it to work.  Never had this problem with a printer before.  And this isn't a new printer either.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2023, 05:01:17 am »
I have found most everything now comes with too much bloatware crapola... it is like they want to bog down a computer.
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline corbe

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2023, 02:13:29 pm »
   I had a similar situation with a 1 year old HP Envy 5530?, last week.  Though it printed, it required an HP account to scan anything.  I couldn't get it set up w/Win11 and told customer to trash it and buy a Canon, if she wanted to scan.
   HP went to $hit when Carly Fiona(sp) took over.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2023, 06:00:24 pm »
I've used 2 HP laserjets  for my family printer for over 30 years now. I picked up both on auctions and then put rebuild kits in each one. The first was a LJ 4 and it was still running strong when I replaced it with a LJ 1320, that now has a total pages printed count of 110666. I have no complaints with their performance. I have a scanner, an Epson V500, also an auction pickup, that works well.