Author Topic: The Reaper UAV Is Getting Its Own Drone Swarm  (Read 136 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
The Reaper UAV Is Getting Its Own Drone Swarm
« on: March 07, 2023, 05:50:54 pm »
The Reaper UAV Is Getting Its Own Drone Swarm
Air Force special operators are rigging the venerable uncrewed aircraft with an ISR swarm that may take just one person to control.
PATRICK TUCKER | MARCH 6, 2023 07:38 PM ET

The venerable Reaper UAV could become a mothership for a single-operator drone swarm, the head of Air Force Special Operations Command said recently.

AFSOC’s Adaptive Airborne Enterprise project aims to develop highly autonomous swarms of drones for intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance—and perhaps even strike, Lt. Gen. Tony D. Bauernfeind told an audience at the Global SOF Special Air Warfare Symposium in Fort Walton Beach, Florida. The project also aims to reduce the number of humans needed to control such a swarm down to just one operator.

“A2E is a three-phase initiative to develop airborne human-machine teams commanding a family of uncrewed and optionally crewed” aircraft, Bauernfeind said.

These swarms of Group 1 and 2 drones—essentially, ones weighing up to a few dozen pounds—would launch from MQ-9 Reapers and perhaps other medium-sized uncrewed aircraft, he said.

https://www.defenseone.com/technology/2023/03/reaper-uav-getting-its-own-drone-swarm/383676/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson