Author Topic: Climate experiment to dump minerals in Cornish sea to absorb carbon  (Read 466 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Climate experiment to dump minerals in Cornish sea to absorb carbon
MARCH 4, 2023
By Paul Homewood

A Canadian company plans to dump hundreds of tonnes of a mineral off the Cornish coast to slow climate change, despite calls by environmentalists to halt the trial.

The pioneering scheme by Planetary Technologies is designed to remove CO2 from the atmosphere by increasing the alkalinity of the water. The UN climate science panel said last year that removing billions of tonnes of CO2 from the air would be vital for the world to meet the Paris agreement’s goals.

Planetary Technologies will release between 200 and 300 tonnes of magnesium hydroxide in its mineral form, brucite, in St Ives Bay over three months this spring.

Magnesium hydroxide is probably better known as the compound Milk of Magnesia, used as a laxative. Senior company figures are attending public meetings in Hayle and Truro to assuage concerns about the project.

https://notalotofpeopleknowthat.wordpress.com/2023/03/04/climate-experiment-to-dump-minerals-in-cornish-sea-to-absorb-carbon/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Climate experiment to dump minerals in Cornish sea to absorb carbon
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2023, 12:33:06 pm »
 :3:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2023, 01:03:48 pm »
Double stupidity....

Just as with Calcium (similarly +2 valenced) , releasing basically salts of Mg, Ca (CO3 )will bound into salt carbonates, but pH moves that abrupt will have adverse impact on any fauna or flora life at or near this idiotic experiment. 

Saddens me, that we have so called scientist that are just as stupid as the enviro-whackos themselves.

Man made CO2 is not a problem, as an atmopheric substance or as an element of climate change
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2023, 01:06:07 pm »
What authorizes these idiots to go forth and f**k with the planet we all live on?

Call the French. Let them sink the damned boat at the pier. (a la' Greenpeace)

The sad part of this is that with a cooling planet this last decade, they will claim credit for that and do this again!
« Last Edit: March 05, 2023, 01:10:27 pm by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2023, 01:23:01 pm »
What authorizes these idiots to go forth and f**k with the planet we all live on?

Call the French. Let them sink the damned boat at the pier. (a la' Greenpeace)

The sad part of this is that with a cooling planet this last decade, they will claim credit for that and do this again!

Not sure of prevailing currents around the British Isles, but it isn't that many hundreds of miles from the Dover limestone cliffs, and this could damage the cliff bases on the coast of the channel.  Ca(OH)2 + Limestone = "Poof" Dissolved
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2023, 04:57:17 pm »
 :pondering: I thought the Oceans and Seas already absorbed carbon and released oxygen just fine without some morons screwing with a perfectly fine natural process.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2023, 10:59:17 pm »
"We'll save the Earth!"
... by poisoning the oceans...

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2023, 01:11:36 am »
Excellent idea!

After all,what could possibly  go wrong with dumping potentially/actually  toxic chemicals into the oceans?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!