Author Topic: Scotland Just Banned a Surgical Anaesthetic Because of Climate Change  (Read 205 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Scotland Just Banned a Surgical Anaesthetic Because of Climate Change
22 hours ago Eric Worrall 69 Comments
Essay by Eric Worrall

h/t John C; Desflurane has a greenhouse gas potential 2500x greater than CO2. But “… ensuring patient safety remains at the heart of every clinical decision …”.

Scotland first to ban environmentally harmful anaesthetic

By Smitha Mundasad
Health reporter

Scotland has become the first country in the world to stop its hospitals using the anaesthetic desflurane because of the threat it poses to the environment.

NHS data suggests the gas, used to keep people unconscious during surgery, has a global warming potential 2,500 times greater than carbon dioxide.

Banning it in Scotland – from its peak use in 2017 – would cut emissions equal to powering 1,700 homes a year.

UK hospitals have already cut down.

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2023/03/04/scotland-just-banned-a-surgical-anaesthetic-because-of-climate-change/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher
Re: Scotland Just Banned a Surgical Anaesthetic Because of Climate Change
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2023, 01:43:42 pm »
Looking so forward to that leather bit, stick, and a bottle of whskey for surgery prep.  /s
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Kamaji

Re: Scotland Just Banned a Surgical Anaesthetic Because of Climate Change
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2023, 01:46:57 pm »
:facepalm2:

Maybe they can return to the days of strapping the patient down to the table and giving them a wooden stick to bite down on.