Author Topic: We Have a New National Cybersecurity Strategy. Now What?  (Read 123 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
We Have a New National Cybersecurity Strategy. Now What?
« on: March 04, 2023, 05:19:36 pm »
We Have a New National Cybersecurity Strategy. Now What?
Cyber Initiator
MARCH 3RD, 2023 BY REAR ADM. (RET.) MARK MONTGOMERY, SAMANTHA F. RAVICH | 0 COMMENTS
Rear Adm. (Ret.) Mark Montgomery is a senior director at the Center on Cyber and Technology Innovation (CCTI) at the Foundation for Defense of Democracies, where he is also a senior fellow. He directs CSC 2.0, which works to implement the recommendations of the congressionally mandated Cyberspace Solarium Commission, where he previously served as executive director. Follow him on Twitter @MarkCMontgomery

View all articles by Rear Adm. (Ret.) Mark Montgomery

Dr. Samantha Ravich is the chair of the Center on Cyber and Technology Innovation at the Foundation for Democracies. She is a distinguished advisor to CSC 2.0, having previously served as a commissioner on the congressionally mandated Cyberspace Solarium Commission, and is also a member of the U.S. Secret Service’s Cyber Investigation Advisory Board.

View all articles by Samantha F. Ravich

OPINION — The new National Cybersecurity Strategy is clear and concise, laying out the case for a more robust and engaged approach to defending our national critical infrastructure from a growing list of threats in cyberspace.  Implementing it is the next big challenge.

The document articulates priorities and affirms for our allies and adversaries alike, that we will defend our interests and values in cyberspace. The key to long-term improvements in national cyber resilience, however, is not just the articulation of policy. It will be in the implementation and resourcing of the guidance laid out in the strategy.

The new strategy is consistent with, and expands on, the work of the Cyberspace Solarium Commission (on which we both served), and it is informed by three additional years of attacks on our nation’s security, prosperity and democracy by nation-state and criminal actors.

This administration cut its cyber teeth on responses to Russia’s years-long, sophisticated cyber espionage campaign against the U.S. government through U.S. software company SolarWinds and China’s vast espionage effort exploiting Microsoft vulnerabilities to target the private sector. Then, came criminal ransomware attacks against U.S. critical infrastructure and the discovery of a dangerous vulnerability at the heart of the software in millions of devices around the world.

https://www.thecipherbrief.com/column/cyber-initiator/we-have-a-new-national-cybersecurity-strategy-now-what
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson