Author Topic: Reliable vs. Intermittent Generation: A Primer (Part I)  (Read 106 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Reliable vs. Intermittent Generation: A Primer (Part I)
« on: March 03, 2023, 12:05:41 pm »
Reliable vs. Intermittent Generation: A Primer (Part I)
By Bill Schneider -- March 1, 2023
“Why should a thermal plant spend money in a government-rigged market that threatens a reasonable profit? Why should the plant even remain in the market under these conditions?”

“For IVREs it’s a no-risk deal, with markets guaranteed and taxpayers country-wide adding profits. But what about the need for reliable power?”

This two-part post (Part II here) is a follow-up to Robert Bradley’s recent IER article, “Wind, Solar, and the Great Texas Blackout: Guilty as Charged.” His article discussed how regulatory shifts and subsidies favoring Intermittently Variable Renewable Energy (IVRE) producers resulted in prematurely lost capacity, a lack of new capacity, and upgrade issues with remaining (surviving) traditional capacity. These three factors–“the why behind the why”–explain the perfect storm that began with (or was revealed by) Storm Uri.

Part I below describes how the market was originally meant to work–but has not worked given the governmentally redesigned power market, beginning with generation. The change was caused by:

https://www.masterresource.org/renewable-energy-fallacies/reliable-vs-intermittent-schneider-i/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson