Author Topic: 50 Years Ago, One Flawless Rock Album Changed Everything  (Read 988 times)

Offline corbe

50 Years Ago, One Flawless Rock Album Changed Everything
« on: March 02, 2023, 12:54:17 am »
50 Years Ago, One Flawless Rock Album Changed Everything

Story by Ian Spelling

The beating heart of Pink Floyd’s remarkable career remains The Dark Side of the Moon. Released on March 1, 1973, this album catapulted Richard Wright, David Gilmour, Roger Waters, and Nick Mason to true international superstardom after having released seven previous progressive rock albums. That’s right, Pink Floyd was so good, that their most famous album was released almost ten years after they formed. It remains one of music’s most influential albums – and also one of the top-sellers of all time (at 50 million copies and counting). Let’s put Dark Side on the turntable for a lookback spin, at 33 1/3, of course.

Released on March 1, 1973, in the United States, and a few weeks later in the U.K., Dark Side of the Moon consists of 10 songs spread across 43 minutes. Despite its reputation, it’s not quite a concept album, though its tracks explore aspects of life familiar to us all: birth, fear, money, greed, mental health, mortality, and more. Highlights include the tense, even paranoid instrumental “On the Run;” the lush “Breath (In the Air), with its gorgeous harmonies; the powerful “The Great Gig in the Sky,” which is bolstered by guest vocalist Clare Torry’s stunning contributions; the catchy anti-consumerism number, “Money;” the elegiac, “Us and Them” (“And in the end, it’s only round and round.”), and “Brain Damage,” which acknowledges former bandmate Syd Barrett’s mental issues (“There's someone in my head but it's not me.”).

Believe it or not, Dark Side only spent a single week at #1 on the Billboard 200 chart, but quite legendarily, it remained on that very same chart for nearly 1000 nonconsecutive weeks – taking it into early 1990.

<..snip..>

https://www.msn.com/en-us/music/news/50-years-ago-one-flawless-rock-album-changed-everything/ar-AA185Z4x?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=a9c7380c2d38442dbad60ea2a040b6e8&ei=36
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline corbe

Re: 50 Years Ago, One Flawless Rock Album Changed Everything
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2023, 12:55:01 am »
P̲ink F̲lo̲yd - The D̲ark S̲ide of the Mo̲o̲n (Full Album 1973)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69VMx9Kd3tQ
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2023, 12:57:33 am »
The only album I have on vinyl, cassette and CD.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline corbe

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2023, 01:07:50 am »
   March '73 was also the Debut of Robin Trower's SOLO Carrer with the release of 'Twice Removed From Yesterday'.

Robin Trower › Twice Removed From Yesterday (FULL ALBUM)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4irgHExOloM

Both of these I wore out a couple of 8-Tracks, each.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2023, 01:19:26 am »
Oh, the memories I have of this album. By my recollection, it was more popular in the early 1980s than in the 1970s. My memory could be skewed by the fact that I had a girlfriend in the early 1980s who loved to smoke pot, put this album on the cd, and then make love all night. We did that dozens and dozens of times over a two year period.  Now whenever I hear a cut of the album I have both a physical and emotional response to it. 

Offline corbe

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2023, 01:23:20 am »
   Beautiful Memory @massadvj

Online DB

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2023, 03:03:09 am »
Some of the finest recordings ever made were engineered by Alan Parsons:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Parsons

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2023, 03:21:57 am »
Actually, if I had to pick one...Moody Blues' Every Good Boy Deserves Favor.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2023, 04:31:31 am »
London, 1994

If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2023, 06:10:48 am »
I am fond of saying "Pink Floyd,blues from the 25th century."
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline LMAO

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2023, 11:41:45 am »
And the vinyl version of the DSOTM even came with a poster
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy